Anyone from Aberdeen MD or Ft Belvoir Area?

I may be moving to one of the two areas soon due to my hubby getting reassigned. I was looking at places to rent in both places and both areas seem so expensive. Im hoping to find someone from the area who can give me some info on what to look for. Thanks!

Justice828

Asked by Justice828 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Money & Work

• I lived right near Ft Belvoir, I can tell you that anywhere outside the DC area is going to be expensive. Whether you buy a home or rent an apt. The traffic is almost always bad because the area is soo busy! But you always have the Metro to rely on. Aberdeen is right outside of Baltimore, I don't really know much about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Aberdeen is about 40 - 60 minutes from Baltimore by way of major highways. Aberdeen is more of a large town in essence. Contact a Real Estate Agent who will steer you to housing availability. Bel Air, about 20-25 minutes from Aberdeen is closer to Baltimore and more upscale. Edgewood is also closer to Baltimore and is more downscale. Fallston is upscale. Havre de Grace about average and a charming little place. But for shopping you'll probaby go to Bel Air or toward Baltimore, or in the other direction to PA or to Delaware (where there is no sales tax). Aberdeen is a nice central location for Baltimore, York, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and not too far (about 1 1 /2 hours) from DC. (more in next post)

Answer by Bmat at 1:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• (continued)
    Because taxes are high in Harford County, where Aberdeen is, some people commute from Cecil County or even PA. So you should check these areas and see if the commute is OK. I'd say the Bel Air area has the best schools. The commute to the Aberdeen area of the Proving Ground from Bel Air would be about a half hour .

Answer by Bmat at 1:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2008