What ever happened to critical thinking???

Why is everyone so ready to accept anything and everything they hear or read at face value? Doesn't anyone ever question what they're told anymore? Sometimes I think we've become a society of robots, willing to accept even the most ludicrous of ideas just because someone of (perceived) authority says so or because it's typewritten on the page.

I'm so tired of getting the "deer in the headlights" look when I ask someone to elaborate on a statement they've made; most times, it seems they're just repeating what they've heard, which is fine and dandy, but they argue that their comments are absolute truth (yet can't back it up)! Seriously, I think people sometimes just talk out of their ass for the sake of hearing their own voices! No real dialogue, just blah, blah, blah!!! Seems I'm surrounded by parrots rather than robots, actually.

Anybody relate to what I'm saying???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• From one parrot to another - NO.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:47 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I think it went out the window with common sense.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:51 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I think a lot of people are just too chickenshit to put their opinions out there, especially if they deviate from their friends' opinions or any status quo. It's lonely sometimes when you're an outspoken, critical-thinking girl.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I know. I see it too.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:49 AM on May. 9, 2011

• i like to my opinions clear.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You're blaming a culture that was raised to obey authority & not question it or suffer the consequences - the mindset of public school, which is the environment in which we were raised. My children were taught to be respectful to teachers but follow their own convictions - teachers were not always right. My daughter questioned the grading of her HS English paper since it was a topic that the teacher did not agree with - blind respect for authority. The teacher wrote on her paper that she was automatically superior to my daughter due to her age & educational level. I disagree. Respect is a 2-way street. Truth is subjective but facts are not. Your truth may not be mine. Authority is granted contingent upon taking responsibility for its outcome. Young people are not 2nd class citizens. Such tenets are rarely practiced IMO & it's is no wonder that the outcome is adults w/out the ability for critical thought & reasoning.
    flightless

Answer by flightless at 2:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I am of that generation ... raised to obey authority and not question. Somehow, I found my truth and my voice, and if you knew me when, I'd be the last person you'd imagine to do so. I really think most people are simply on autopilot most of the time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on May. 9, 2011