Teaching gay history in school?...

Has anyone read this article?

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2011/04/19/teaching-gay-history/

I have gay friends but this politically gay agenda is getting way out of hand. In fairness, this should be an option and not a requirement.. Now that their out of the closet, they want a parade throughout the house and neighborhood. Isn't acceptance enough?... Sorry in advance if this comes off kinda gay...

NikkiVan1

Asked by NikkiVan1 at 11:53 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Lol, at "I have gay friends but." hahahahaha too funny.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:54 AM on May. 9, 2011

• devil

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:55 AM on May. 9, 2011

• this is ridiculous!! this should not be taught in schools and should NOT be a mandatory subject. this is one of the reasons my kids go to parochial school!! totally inappropriate
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 11:55 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Yeah, I'm sure this will make our students more competitive internationally. *eyeroll*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:56 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't think this has any place in our textbooks. We need to focus on educating kids on academic subjects and not sexual orientation. This is going to far IMO.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:58 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I think it is important. We have a lot of violent crime and hate crimes aimed at our LBGTQQ friends, and one of the only ways to combat it is through education. This is because the worst offenders usually come from homes where acceptance would never be taught . .. they are perpetuating what they pick up from mom and dad. When this world becomes a safer place, then it may prove unmeaningful to learn about sexuality in the schools, but, in today's world, it is a must.

Some parents are very afraid that school curriculum will "turn" their child gay. It just isn't so.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:01 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I dont see why it needs to be taught. My biodad was gay and died of AIDS in the 90s. My kids have been brought up to be tolerant, and I know for a fact many of their friends have to. It doesnt matter though how much we try and teach some kids out there will never be tolerant. Look at racism, its been taught and people have been shamed because they are racist, yet it still exists. I think right now we have so many other problems just teaching basic World and American History we need to get the kids where they need to be before adding more to a curriculum half the teachers wont put much effort into anyway.

Answer by gemgem at 12:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't agree with it, and neither do a lot of the teachers. I know first hand due to the fact my mom is a teacher and I know the entire staff. I don't understand why someone's sexuality has a purpose in my childs history book. Should they have straight history month? Transgender as well? Asexual history? How is it fair that a teacher should be forced to teach something they aren't comfortable with? It's not like we are talking about slaves, or segregation, separate busses, or not being allowed to vote. It's their sexuality.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• So ... it's OK to keep teaching "straight" history? And it's ok to keep sending the message to LGBT teens that there's something shameful & wrong with them, since obviously nobody of LGBT background ever did anything worthy enough to be included in america's history? It's OK for those teens to deal with bullying, depression and suicide at rates quadruple that of straight kids?

Why does america continue to insist on being so prudish & ridiculous about sexual orientation?
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think this is ridiculous to even consider teaching in schools. It's taking political correctness far too far. Children have so much to learn so far without shoving more stuff in!
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 12:09 PM on May. 9, 2011