6 weeks after baby and still bleeding (TMI) adult content

Its been 6 weeks and 4 days since i had my son. He is my third child. Well i am still bleeding. And not just spotting i mean i am still bleeding. Is this normal? I had my 6 week post partum check up last friday and I asked the nurse practioner who saw me but she never answered me. Im a little concerned b/c i never bled this long with either of my other kids. Anyone have any advice or had the same issue?

stevynjjsmoma

Asked by stevynjjsmoma at 12:04 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• As long as you are not passing giant clots,its normal. Some women can bleed up to 3 months

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Wow thats awful! I only bled for maybe a week. And that was just very light bleeding. GL. Id definately ask you doctor. Just call and ask to speak with a nurse. You dont have to go be seen unless the nurse thinks you should.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 12:07 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yeah this isn't right i would call and ask for a second opinion. any clots? bright red bleeding? on blood thinners? difficulty with breastfeeding or low supply? You may have retained placental fragments and this deserves a better look. i was on big time blood thinners and i didn't bleed that heavy or that long ... so ...yeah i'd get that checked out. It could also be girly issues not directly related to the pregnancy - get a second opinion
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 12:08 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Nope no blood thinners or anything. I hadnt passed any clots but it is bright red blood. i dont have any pain either. I just found it unusual especially since after my other two i didnt bleed much. I will call and see if i can maybe see an actual doctor. I did get the depo shot the day after he was born but that should have helped stopped the bleeding right? and im not breast feeding he is on the bottle.
    stevynjjsmoma

Comment by stevynjjsmoma (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Oh i do also have HPV. I have had to have two leep procedures done and my cervix is really short. I wonder if maybe that has something to do with it?
    stevynjjsmoma

Comment by stevynjjsmoma (original poster) at 12:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• the depo could have something to do with this, but i don't like that you are having bright red bleeding - that isn't old blood from delievery that's active new bleeding. you need to be seen
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 12:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Among other things, you could have also started your period already. There are so many reasons. But it's not abnormal to bleed longer than 6 weeks, even if you didn't with your other kids. I bled for different lengths of time with all of my 5. I was only done by 6 weeks with 1 of them.
    Anonymous

• thanks ladies
    stevynjjsmoma

Comment by stevynjjsmoma (original poster) at 12:39 PM on May. 9, 2011