How to make my son's birthday special?

Does anyone have ideas of low cost ways to make my son's 3rd birthday extra super special? It'll be his last as an only child- next year he'll have a 6 month old brother or sister when he turns 4 so Iam looking for ways to make this birthday extra special for him. I am already doing a Thomas Theme (he loves Thomas)...and making his cake special. We don't have alot of money to spend but Iam open to any and all ideas.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 12:20 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a pull string pinata for my son's party and that was really fun and pretty inexpensive - ordered it online. can you take the kids somewhere cheap or free. maybe a train depot with the thomas theme already in place. maybe a local farm tour, children's meuseum, or free play area? make thomas characters out of boxes for the kids to wear and maybe a giant "track" with paper to ride on?
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 12:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You could put streamers all through the house to deck it out to make it look amazing - those are cheap and come in huge rolls!!! blow up ballons also which don't need to be filled with helium but can be taped to areas around the house!~ good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• out door party and have helium already for the baloons! was gonna forgo streamers but might just do them now
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 12:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• One year I filled my daughter's room with balloons. So when she woke up on her birthday morning it was great. We give the kids our presents first thing in the morning. When they are still in bed. Sing to him with candles at every meal. Do something special like go to a park that day. Is his party on his real birthday?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No the day after- BUT this birthday falls on the day of his playgroup so I'm making cupcakes or cookies for that- probably cookies since hes not a cake kinda kid
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 12:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i might do the balloon idea- just not hellium since i need it for the party- but he'll get a kick outta that! I can just hear him waking at 5:30 and sayinf "bloons! bloons!"
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 1:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• DS has summer bday and DD's bday usually falls the 2nd week of school. Needless to say it can be hard doing the usual birthday party with friends for them both so we're all about finding new and fun ways to make birthdays special.

- At night, fill the room with latex balloons blown up by mouth. This leaves them on the floor to be 'walked' through which is really fun and awesome. :)
    - Hang streamers from their door frame. They love waking up in and out of a highly decorated room.
    - Favorite breakfast which usually entails the oh so healthy chocolate chip pancakes & smile faces out of whipped cream.
    - dinner is bday person's favorite meal.
    - decorate seat at the table with streamers
    - make a trip to some place special (family trip or invite a few guests.) The park, the beach, the zoo...something not expensive but special.
    - just make the day all about DS. He'll love it!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Do something in his room either the night before or that morning, like a balloon in the room, waking up with new Thomas PJ's and a note. Post little notes (even if he can't read ) on stars or hearts all over the house to find in common places like the bathroom mirror, his toy box, windows. Plant a little tree together that can grow like he does that he can remember as the birthday tree.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:20 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Great ideas everyone!!! A few weeks before his birthday he is getting a special trip to A Day out With Thomas- where he will get to ride Thomas- it's been planned for months and months now and I just kno he'll flip his lid. Thanks for all the other ideas! this is sure to be a very special birthday for him.
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 1:40 PM on May. 9, 2011