How do you feel about bypass surgery?

i am a pretty woman i am loved but i am considering bypass i am about 100 pound overweight and i have tried everything else i have been a big girl all my life i wear it well so they say and i would like to look better and not have to go to big girl stores for clothes i like fashion and my size clothes 18-20 dosnt always look appealing

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 12:44 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Health

• my name is krissy...ten years ago i had a gastric bypass...i was 30 years old and had weighed 275 lbs. my knees hurt i had gall stones and was just fat and miserable.

the good things....
    you lose weight...and i mean fast
    your diabetes will go away if you have it
    you will feel healthier in time

down falls
    you lose your hair at first
    you become vitamin deficient and will stay that way if you dont watch it
    hpoglycemia is a high risk possibilty
    you will get depressed after and then have a sense of greatness when the weight comes off and you start to see it in a major way

i had the surgery...would i do it again..probably not...as there are so many ways that do work too...
    i am hyperchromic, i dont absorb food or vitamins and stuff well..i take lots and lots of vitamins everyday and have to watch my sugar....

just find that inner strenght and do wieght watchers....or nutra syst
    semipsychobaker

Answer by semipsychobaker at 12:58 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My mom, my aunt, my best friend and ex have all had it. It is a life changing surgery and you have to be really committed to the change before you have it done. They all had it done for medical reasons, life saving if you will.

Answer by gemgem at 12:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have gone to the seminars, I was going to do it, but my insurance took a dump. :(
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think if your doing it for you good and you have commitment to it do what works for you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• it is a life-changing surgery, for sure. its not a fix-all/cure-all form of weight reduction. oh it will most likely get you down in weight, but you have to change completely your eating habits. its a surgery, and therefore, there are always risks or complications.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

• em....because the urge to eat does not go away with the surgery but with a program you are taught to modify and that is the true key to weight loss
    semipsychobaker

Answer by semipsychobaker at 12:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Talk to your doctor and a counselor. You have to be healthy to have the bypass surgery and be committed to a life changing way of life. I know someone who had it done and she is committed and looks amazing. She had to change her entire life and eating habits. She became happier and healthier. I also know someone who had nothing but complications and regrets doing the surgery but she was not committed to the changes she had to make. My friend wanted to have it done and was told she was too unhealthy to survive the surgery, which she didn't understand. You have to do what you feel is best for you and not what someone else says. Just make sure you take everythign into consideration before making this life altering decision. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Incorrect, you haven't tried everything, you've just failed with the options you chose. And surgery isn't a guick fix solution to a lifelone choice of bad habits. I lost over 50lbs and vowed to stay in shape until they put me 6ft under. Did you wake up one day and say, Holly shit, I'm 100lbs overweight? Yes, like most women, eating is a lot easier than working out or exercise. That's why women get fatter as they get older. Weight acceptance is a death sentence! YOU need to see a doctor, eat a better diet and workout in some way. The bad side, when you lose weight, then you'll have flab to deal with and sometimes losing weight makes one look older. But 100lbs is still workable and way for you to get your life and health back on track. You have a choice, to eat and do nothing or do something with your life and say you tried and hopefully succeed! Good luck!!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 1:01 PM on May. 9, 2011