Do you think a baby will eventually sleep better with age without letting them CIO?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 12:44 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely! I tried CIO with my first around 9 months and it was a nightmare! Then we moved 2 months later and had to start all over again. With my second son I did not let him CIO and he is a MUCH better sleeper than his brother ever was at this age (10.5 months), My mom never made any of her 3 kids CIO and we all sleep perfectly fine without her help ;)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think it depends on baby! With my son we did the CIO method, and he slept through the night at 9 months. With my dd we haven't done CIO because I'm worried she will wake her big brother up, and she is still getting up at least one a night and she is 20 months!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:48 PM on May. 9, 2011

• never did cry it out.. both my dd's slept through the night by 2 months old max. we also co--slept.

as far as into the future.. my 3 year old sleeps just fine.. but i doubt whether i let her cry it out or not had anything to do with it, i think it's partially genetic
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:54 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Mine did.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes, babies will sleep better when they get older without using CIO. I never let any of my kids CIO and they all slept better the older they got. They were all sleeping 12 hour nights almost nightly by a year old, except for the youngest (but he had other reasons for not sleeping).
    Anonymous

• DEpends on the baby.. My son's colic was so severe that by the time he was 8 months old ( colic was 6 months long ) he has literally no self soothing skills and didn't sleep for 3 days straight which was my breaking point to which I brought him in and they said it was too severe at this point ( since I spent the past 2 months doing infant methods of 3 different books, No cry sleep solutions, Healthy sleep habits, happy child, and happiest baby on the block which none of them worked ) I was basically told I had that left as an option. He slept through the night after the first week of CIO _
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• CIO never worked for my 1st one and he ended up sleeping better the older he got, but he also has acid reflux and digestion issues, the same as my 10 month old now, which is why I will not do CIO, even though i'm not a big believer in it anyway.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• masxsmom-did you do CIO while he was still suffering from the colic?
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It does depend on the child, first of all. Second, it depends on long you're willing to wait it out - I do have a friend that was still rocking her 6 year old to sleep before her DD was ready to give up on the assistance. It took her a while to sleep through the night at that point. She, however, is not the norm. Third, there are other 'sleep training' methods beyond CIO.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• NO NO.. Never used CIO until he was 2 months past colic spells.. once he turned 6 months and the Colic was done, that's when I used the methods from all 3 of those books - During colic I just rocked and held him and cried with him lol!~ his episodes were 3 hours at a time and I would never let him cry it out during a colic spell - no way!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:12 PM on May. 9, 2011