help with my 3 year old

i don't know what to do. ever since brett turned 3 he is a different child. he is very very mean to me and collin, says i hate you, he makes me cry sometimes and he's only 3. he gets the meanest snarly look on his face when he speaks to me, and is very very mouthy. i have tried ignoring, i have tried spanking, i have tried time out. etc. nothing works. he sort of reacts when i cry but nothign that changes his behavior. also he has regressed the potty training. basically he only tries to be potty trained when we are out and then it's a game about how many different places he can use the potty. I am at my wits end on how to curb his horrible behavior. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter tells me she hates me and says im not her mom thats is just norm behavior for 3 yrs old i think he might just think he can get attention from it or do you know if anyone is teaching him that stuff?
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• have you tried sitting him down and talking really talking to him my daughter is three too and i find that when she is upset or acting up if i speak to her like she older she settles down and tells me why she is upset and acting up usally it cause she wants attention and by having a "grown up" conversation with her it makes her feel like she getting it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• First of all he is 3 so blow it off personally...never let him see you cry! Then he knows he has gotten to you and besides he doesnt even understand what to hate someone truly means at this age.
    Kids are power hungry manipulative little beasts at this age. They will work you and play you to your wits end if you cant be strong...boom in for the kill!
    Be consistant with him each and every time so he knows you mean business...dont slip and let him get away with anything. My 3 yr old son did this and I swear I felt like he lived in time out...but it only took about of week of that for him to realize he is the kid and I am the parent and what I say goes EVERY time! Stay strong..good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Your son is pushing the boundries to see what he can get by with. The first thing you should do is tell him, we use kind words not hurtful words. You need to tell him what you expect from him and make sure there are appropriate consequences when he doesnt do what is expected. I always said it is not terrible twos it is terrible threes.

He also may be attention seeking. Make sure you set aside just mommy and me time. Dad needs to do the same thing. (that doesnt include watching tv) Read a book, play a game, get down in the floor with him whatever he wants to do (within reason of course) this is his time.

Most importantly whatever you put in place you need to make sure you and dad are on the same page!!!!
    SoaringEagles

Answer by SoaringEagles at 10:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008