Building a catio

My husband and I have completed the frame for our catio, but we are wondering what is the best material to use for covering it. I don't want to use screen, so i was thinking kennel wire. Any other ideas or suggestions?

marshsmom

Asked by marshsmom at 12:52 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Pets

• We used plain old chicken wire for ours ... but we had 5 6' rolls at the time since we were also building chicken runs/pens. I wouldn't recommend it if you live in the woods like we do because of predators, but we also have large dogs right next to our cat room (we're not fancy enough for a catio lol!).

We took a section of a tree that we cut down that could be sawed off, attached carpeted perches, and they love it. They also have a small shelter built to match the cabin in it, as well as all of their toys. If I have the little cat toys in the house, the dogs end up eating them. In any case, mine love it ... even the ones that I thought would be afraid since they had always been house cats.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• what on earth is a catio?
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 2:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It's an outdoor enclosure designed for cats. This is similar to what I am building:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Our-Catio/
    marshsmom

Comment by marshsmom (original poster) at 2:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If you live in a rural area, make sure that you bury the chicken wire at least 2 feet in the ground. Coyotes, etc. like to dig under chicken wire because they think chickens are on the other side!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• We actually do the entire 'floor' of our runs with 2x4 field wire and the 'roof' the same way. I'd love to free range, but the only birds of mine that would survive (and do quite nicely) are the guineas. They beat up the outside cats, run and laugh at stray dogs/coyotes, and squall loud enough to make raccoons cover their ears and run lol.

Burying the wire is a lot of work in hard clay, so we just lay a roll on the ground and 'sew' up the seams. So far nothing has gotten in (and I hope nothing does!).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Guineas are the funniest birds, my boxer used to run from them too. SO loud.

I want to see the catio! How fun!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:52 AM on May. 10, 2011