Just had a thought - about marking a post "adult"

In a few of the groups I'm in here, I see people mark *adult* in the titles of some of their posts. I never really thought about it before... but that doesn't make much sense to me. This is a mom website. I realize a lot of the moms on here are young (technically underage), but in terms of talking about sex and things like that, I would think they're just as adult as anyone who's legal. So really, what's the point of marking something adult if we're all technically adults, in that sense?

Anyone agree? Disagree? Why?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 1:01 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think more people use if for the TMI factor. Some people on here can't and don't want to handle certain questions.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Sometimes my daughter is right by my side. She reads well. I appreciate the adult warning. I don't need her asking me what a blow job is.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• its marked adult for the people who might be offended.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/834765/Is_it_okay_to_be_private_about_sex_anymore

This is why. Some people don't want to hear about anyone else's sex life.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:04 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My 7 year old has been reading since he was 4, and is often reading over my shoulder when he's home from school. My 4 year old recognizes all her letters and is right on the cusp of actual independent reading. She's still doing the rote thing, but she's |.| that close.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:17 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think your question is rated PG-13! Does that help?...
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 1:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Ha ha I guess I never really thought about reading-age kids reading over shoulders! My son is only three and obviously can't read. :P
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:04 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I own a fan group for Stephenie Meyer who is Mormon. A lot of her fans are Mormon as well. Many people of the LDS faith choose not to use profanity or be exposed to sexually explicit material so, whether they are adults who have sex or not, I want them to feel safe in my group and ask that 'adult' warnings be used out of courtesy.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• For those that get uncomfortable though... why not just mark something TMI instead of adult?
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• The problem with TMI is that everyone has different levels of what they consider "over sharing".  We still use TMI but  We had to switch to "adult content" on those posts of sexual content at the request of some moms. Some Moms in my group are single and abstinent and do not want to accidentally read about that sort of thing when they are trying to be good.

Swearing isn't an issue because it's not necessary for  expressing yourself in conversation and not allowed.

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:49 PM on May. 12, 2011