How do i get my son to go on the potty?

My son is 17 months old. I am a first time mom so i don't know how to get him to go on the potty alone?

Love_Levi

Asked by Love_Levi at 1:06 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait until he turns 3. Then buy him big boy undies and take the diapers away completely. If you start now, you will be potty training for years.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My DS was 3 when he started. Put dish soap in the toilet so it makes bubbles while he pees. Oh and cheerios to aim at!
    SwePea

Answer by SwePea at 1:23 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Look for the book My Big Boy Potty by Joanna Cole. It has a LOT of tips and ideas in the back. I also agree with mompam, 17 months is too early.

We started potty training my son at 2, like the daycare he was at recommended. He was 4-4.5 before he was fully potty trained. He DID have two life changing (to him) events that caused him to regress. It was a nightmare.

We started potty training my daughter at 3 and she was fully potty trained in a week or two.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I remember my son was scared of the big potty because when it flushed it made such a loud noise. You should wait a little longer like the others have said and try getting one of those potty seats that fit on the big potty or get him his own little potty beside the big potty for kids and everytime you go, let him go with you or something, then later try him on the potty seat that fits on the big potty. It is a difficult process, I know that for sure, but I bet checking out the book SwePea has recommended would help alot.
    luvingmyman29

Answer by luvingmyman29 at 1:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have a 16mo who loves his potty, but we didn't get it because we wanted to start potty training. He started showing awareness of when he had a wet or poopy diaper and then he started farting on purpose (his dad thought it was hilarious so of course he does it all the time now). We figured if we introduce a potty into his environment now, he won't be afraid of it later. He likes to sit on it with his pants and diaper on and read his books or have a snack. Just try making it something non-stressful. Don't expect him to really use it now, he's very young! Just let him play with it and you can sit him on it and tell him that's where you make pee and poo and give him a little treat (something you ONLY use for potty time) when he tries to use it. So far we've had 2 successful pees and many attempts in between. Most importantly, DON'T STRESS TOO MUCH IF HE DOESN'T GET IT YET!
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 6:56 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank you everyone for you comments. It really did help
    Love_Levi

Comment by Love_Levi (original poster) at 11:19 PM on May. 9, 2011