How old do you think your kids should be before spending the night away from home?

Should they be old enough to want to go or is it best to start when they are really young? I would just like to hear other opinions!

Teacher_Momma

Asked by Teacher_Momma at 9:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My kids were at least 8 before I let them sleep over at a friend's house.Any younger than that and the kids may have a difficult time making it through the night.
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 10:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my son is 7 and has never spent the night at a friends house, only cousins.....but if he asked and i had met the parents i would let him
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my kids stayed with grandma as soon as they could sleep through the night
    Anonymous

• My kids have gone with grandmas before they were even a year old. For cousins I waited until they (them & cousins) asked/begged which was about 5. They never had a hard time because they were comfortable with family. Now if you mean friends, thats different: I didn't let my son didn't spend the night at a friends until 4th or 5th grade - he's my first so he's always gotten the paranoid side of me. My daughter spent the night at a friends in first grade but it was a mom I knew very well and my daughter had visited many times before spending. No wmy son (13) goes all the time, but my daughter is only allowed to go to few select friends' houses
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 10:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My son has slept at Grandmas since he was 6months. He loves it! It stresses me, but not him. I purposely did it that way because I didn't want it to be traumatic when he got older.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I made sure that my oldest was potty trained and he wanted to go. He was about 4 when he started spending the night with family members.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 8:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My oldest is 4 and has never been away from home. She has never asked and I have never pushed the issue. I am not comfortable with the idea of her being away from home yet. But not sure that I ever will be lol!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My fifteen month old has stayed over at grandma's on several occasions. I just waited until we weren't breastfeeding anymore, and by that time he had been sleeping through the night for quite a while. But he will also let you know when it is bed time!
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 2:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2008