Bible Study with Jehovah Witnesses - the point?

Some Jehovah Witnesses have stopped by my home a few times, dropping off a booklet the first time, and returning to see if it "would be a good time for a Bible study?" Now, I'm a Christian, and perfectly agreeable to to studying with anyone who would like to, so I set up a day for them to return (this past Fri), but as I research their religion more, I am wondering what their intentions are. If there are any JW or former JW folks out there, or even someone who has just studied with them....are they really open to a study, say on a characteristic of God or a lifestyle issue, or is it just to pick apart my beliefs and show my errant ways LOL? I am a SAHM with two small ones home all day, and one school-age. Maybe that makes me look like easy pickins LOL, but I studied before I made the decision to get baptized and be part of the church I've been with for the last ten years. I have no desire to "switch", my hubby is in the military (and I have no issue with it, but I know JW do), my 16-month-old will eventually require dialysis and organ transplant (which they may have some issue with)....I guess I don't want to waste peoples' time. I do sort of feel, as a Christian, I have some duty to share with them, but I don't think when I'm home alone chasing around some kids is the best time to get into semantic and theological debate :-), and if their primary motive is only to convert, I'm not interested anyway. Sooooo..MY point lol, is are they just recruiting, or might they be open to a real exchange of ideas (lol my research suggests it's not really allowed) ? They never showed at the agreed time, but I'm wondering if they make an attempt this week.

arpkdmom

Asked by arpkdmom at 1:13 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My hubby and I were both raised JW"s. However we've distance ourselves from the religion cuz they are so pushy. They study is for them to show you their ways mostly. When you input your beliefs they will make you feel like what your saying is somewhat absurd. We choose to live life by doing unto others. I enjoy learning of other religions but haven't found one that suits me just right. I'm more spiritual and free-spirited.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 1:20 PM on May. 9, 2011

• they are not open to an exchange of ides. to prove it, offer to extend some of your literature abuot your religion and see if they accept it. and then invite them to your church, see what they say.
    I just offer to offer a prayer that they will have a safe journey on to the next home.
    GL telling them to carry on. They are recruiting, not discussing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thanks guys. I have a few translations of bibles, a book about Romans, a concordance, and some printouts with scriptures refs for both JW and christian belifs sitting on the table, ready LOL. But one kid is coming down with strep, my dog with prob bark or whine the whole time they are here, and I have the usual daily house stuff to do, so I don't really have the time or energy to argue if the Greek says Jesus IS God, or only says He is A god! Especially if I have already made my decision.
    arpkdmom

Comment by arpkdmom (original poster) at 1:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i studied with them before and they were really nice. any questions i asked they told me to get my bible and they would answer my questions with the bible not their own words. They are not looking at you as easy pickings, they just want to share the word with you. they have a duty to God to spread the word as Jesus did and to make disciples. They are very loving, the ones i've met and i've met a ton of them. My best friend is a JW and she doesnt push her beliefs on me, she's fun to hang with. It's a lifestyle. they live normal lives, they go to work, the park, they get their hair done, they chase their kids around and on sundays they go to service. one other day a week they meet also. They go out in service when they can, most of them love to go so they make sure they make time for it. you wont be wasting their time. they listened to me and i listened to them. they like it.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 1:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They will show you from the scriptures what Jehovah's witnesses believe. While doing this use whatever bible you feel most comfortable using. They are not there to pick at you and tell you what you believe is wrong. Like I said they are there to show from the scriptures. Also most research you do on the Internet about the witnesses is most of the time incorrect information I've come to find out..Of you have a question about them ask one of them..It's the same as say you have a question about a car you would ask a mechanic not a banker..lol..You know what I'm saying..lol Yes, I am one of Jehovah's witness (if your wondering), And I once had a bible study with them. Would have been in 2003. So if you have any questions feel free to message me :-)

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 1:54 PM on May. 9, 2011

• they're recruiting. just go on about your business, and if they ever return to your doorstep, just tell them you're not interested (because you aren't, you just said so), and to have a good day. then close the door, and attend to your house/children.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:57 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They will pick apart your beliefs. They are there ONLY to convert. Don't bother with letting them in. You're a busy mama and happy with where you are in life.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Sorry, but some of you are so wrong. I have friends that are JW's and they are the nicest people, don't try and convert me to their beliefs, don't tear apart my beliefs. We actually have decent conversations about beliefs, etc. They ask questions about Catholicism and I ask about JW. I have learned a lot from them about why their church believes the way they do. People need to be more open minded and you will see that we are not all that different.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I am Pagan, I was raised JW and many of my family members still are. JWs believe that when Jesus said to go forth and spread the good news that he meant it literally, so that's what they are doing. And while there ARE some JWs who are not open to other beliefs, they are, as a faith, encouraged to explore other belief systems as a way to better understand their own. In fact my aunt and I just TODAY had a rather interesting religious conversation about the similarities about my beliefs and theirs and some things in between. While I can't speak for her I can say I rather enjoy talking with her, and mostly any JW. Their beliefs are not in agreement with every other Christian belief system, but if they were they wouldn't need to be a separate denomination. But their beliefs are based 100% on the Bible and NOT on church propaganda, tradition or external documentation.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I encourage everyone, Christian or not, to study with them, at least for a while. I have yet to find a better way to explore the Bible, and the beliefs it has inspired. In fact even as a non-Christian I still use the JW Bible Story Book for my kids because it actually follows biblical teachings while many others I've found do not...

My advice, give them a few weeks, and see what you think. If you don't like it or whatever, tell them you don't want to continue and stop it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:18 PM on May. 9, 2011