At the park yesterday.....Ohhh... I was really annoyed!

My Dh, Myself & my Son were at the park for a little while yesterday. My son was playing on a wooden truck that has a ladder for the kids to climb. There was a Mom with a tiny tot about 1 1/2 . The little girl was playing up on top & the Mom was just not attentive at all. I stayed at the ladder which was the only way down about 5 steps just in case my Son needed help. The little girl started coming down & I got the Mothers attention & pointed that she's trying to come down herself. The Mom just got annoyed & walked in the other direction so I had to help her kid & she totally ignored the whole issue. WTF??? Oh, should the kid have fallen because she was too cool to watch her kid?? OK, I'm venting but that's just plain rude!! I would never have let the poor thing fall but I was so pissed at that Bi*ch! Maybe she was teaching her daughter to fall & learn??? I just don't get it?? It was on gravel too! What would you have done?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:15 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why get so angry if someone is there to help???? that makes no sense to me.............I'm happy there are ones that care
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would have watched and stayed near but but honestly by 18 months my DD was going up and down ladders with no assistance. From the way you describe it the mom was very rude to you though! She could have said 'thank you. She's okay, she goes up and down all the time by herself. She's a good climber' I had to give that line so many times! I can't imagine ever responding so rudely!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• helped the kiddo and then had a word with the worthless mother or babysitter
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:18 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Perhaps the child really didn't need help, but the OP helped because she thought it was what was best. After all if it was her child.......
    Anonymous

• I would have done the same as you the only difference is I am very verbal in my opinions and I would have said something to her. One of them mothers that take their kids to the park and let someone else babysit, cause they know you are watching out for yours that you will watch out for theirs also. She needed to be slapped.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 1:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My daughter was an excellent climber at that age. I would have watched her but I also would have told you that she is fine to use the ladder and to back off of my kid.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my youngest is 1.5 and i would never just let him run around the park alone i follow him everywhere when we go!
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 1:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Some parents are not as attentive as other parents. However, some children are just natural climbers. Maybe the mom was so use to her daughter being adventurous that's why she did not reacact as you did.  My twins are 7 and I take them to the park daily, I am the mom who is standing in the center of the playground montering my children play.  Just because my boys are active and I want to make sure they don't hurt others.  My daughters now 20 and 18 were another story when I went to the park with them I was able to sit on the park bench read a book and watch them play.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• With my first, I was always right there, but now that I have 3, I can't be right there. I think the younger 2 are far more independent, and now I often consciously don't hover near them (they are now 2 and 4). Once I was convinced my then-1 year old could climb up and down something, I would leave her unless she was very high up.

If someone had tried to help when she didn't need help, I probably would have been a bit annoyed, but not said anything in an attempt not to be rude.

That said, there probably are parents who could pay more attention to their kids. But I havne't really ever seen that problem. The kids mostly handle little problems themselves just fine (taking toys, being rude, seeing something too tall or scary). If something is escalating, I guess I'd intervene, like a fight where someone could really get hurt, or pushing little kids near the edge of a tall thing. But mostly, I'm surprised how competent kids are.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have no idea why random people think that complete strangers will watch out for thier children at a public park! CRAZY!
    Sounds like she wasn't interested in actually being a caregiver at all.
    SAD!
    I'm glad you were thre to help
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 1:34 PM on May. 9, 2011