How can I conceive a baby while taking klonopin?

I take 4 mg. a day and have been for almost 3 years now. I looking to conceive at the end of 2012 because I will get a 9 month break from school and I'm getting married in April 2013.

luvingmyman29

Asked by luvingmyman29 at 1:27 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Have you spoken to your doctor about the potential side effects? If not I suggest you do that first then figure out what is the best way to go about it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You SHOULD NOT get pregnant while taking klonopin. It is a Class D prescription drug, as it can cause serious problems in utero and has been linked to feeding & breathing problems as well as other birth defects.

Talk to your doctor before you even consider getting pregnant.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 1:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have gotten pregnant twice while taking klonopin, it was a surprise both times. I do not condone the use of it while pregnant... You just need to be willing to take a break from it for a while. I would probably start doing yoga or meditation to try to relieve anxiety.
    peelie

Answer by peelie at 1:48 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have talked to my doctor about it and she says I absolutely CANNOT take it while pregnant. I heard that if you quit cold turkey you could die of a seizure and tapering off of it causes serious withdrawals and terrible panic attacks that make you wanna die, too. Thank you sweetpotato418 for letting me know about the breathing and feeding issues, I did not know that. Also, peelie, how was your break from it? Tell me more details because I'm so frightened about it and I've heard horror stories. I do like yoga but I'm no pro at it and meditation has always been complicated for me too. Is there anything else you could recommend that would relieve anxiety while taking the break from klonopin during the pregnancy, such as other forms of exercise, hobbies, etc?
    luvingmyman29

Comment by luvingmyman29 (original poster) at 2:03 PM on May. 9, 2011