S/O Christians and Judaism *Jewish mommies please*

So the question about Christians learning about Judaism got me thinking....

As a Christian I feel that to better understand our own faith, we need to learn about and understand Judaism. I know there is a big dividing factor between the faiths, but Jesus was Jewish, as were the apostles and the earlier followers of Jesus. I feel that to completely understand Jesus' message and the Bible as a whole we need to know the faith that HE followed while on earth. Ok, so all that build-up, now on to my question...

Would it be considered offensive for a Christian wishing to learn about Judaism to go to synagogue or to take part in celebrating a Jewish holiday? Is that something that is acceptable in your opinion, or is it disrespectful to you? Be totally honest please =)

asmcbride

Asked by asmcbride at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• We Jews never have an issue answering questions.
    Personally, I would suggest to start by privately talking to a rabbi, because although a Reform synagogue would be more open to invite non-Jews to their religious services, Orthodox synagogues won't be as open.
    There are also many wonderful websites to learn about Judaism like
    www.aish.com
    www.askmoses.com

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:19 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Not at all... The Synagogue will be very open to you attending and asking questions.
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• That's fabulous! I have lots of christian (and other religions) friends who have showed interest in learning more about Judaism and i have taken a few of them to services or invited them to holiday meals before. Most Jews are raised learning to question everything and to continue learning throughout their lives, so to help others do the same is considered a Mitzvah (good deed). Most sects of Judaism would be very welcoming towards someone of another faith coming to learn at their place of worship. Thank you for being such an open-minded and wise Christian! I haven't met many like you before :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 7:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Totally acceptable. There are some Jewish traditons and celebrations that I would love to observe.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't see why there would be any problem with you going. :)

Lumina2

Answer by Lumina2 at 8:59 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Oh, and any questions, feel free to PM me. I love answering questions about my religion to genuinely interested people.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:20 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Awesome! I have a ton of questions LOL =)

Thank you for answering monshine2.
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 1:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank you for your kind words ShainaMay. I don't know about wise lol, I just try to do what feels right =)
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 10:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank you =)

I hope you know what you just set yourself up for LOL. Once I start asking questions it is hard to get me to stop. Now I need to compile a list of things I want to ask the most ;)
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 10:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• The oldest group on CafeMom is the Jewish Moms group. We are very diverse, and welcome your questions

Answer by rkoloms at 1:06 AM on May. 13, 2011