this may seem silly because this is my 3rd baby but please help if u can....

with my first boy, not problems, my water broke. my second boy,my water did not break . i went with my sister to get some lunch and started hurting real bad. so i call the midwife and she didnt want to check me because i still had over a month to go. so after a few nasty words she changed her mind(ooopppss!!) but i was already 4cm dilated. now with my girl i am 38 wks. this is the worse pain i have ever experienced. i been having contractions real bad and pressure down low. i cant take the pain anymore but when i call the midwife she says we cant do anything till ur water breaks...everybody's water dont break, obviously, so just keep it up til she does something or any advice????

angel_lips

Asked by angel_lips at 10:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i would tell her to come check you it could be labor i know i had pressure with my daughter when i was in labor
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree, if you are in that much pain you may very well be in labor. My water never broke with my first son, they had to do it at the hospital. I would call her and let her have it.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Not everyone's water breaks right as they're going into labor. If you think you are having contractions, walk into her office and DEMAND she check you out. She can not turn you away if you think you are in labor. If nothing else, just go to the ER and they will send you up to L&D. Best of luck!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• With my daughter I was in labor 2 days with no progress...I literally got checked at 10pm and was still at a 1...I MADE them check me again at 10:20 and I had a head halfway down my vagina! YOU know your body!!! Don't take no for an answer. I mean if I would have taken no for an answer I would have been holding my baby by the time they checked me again!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I completely agree with kabbot01, you don't want to put your baby's life in danger. If you are in so much pain that can lead to stress and that can also stress out the baby leading to complications...you do not want that!! You are the only one that knows your body. Its not like you are a first time mommy who doesn't know what contractions feel like- you know?? I don't understand why your midwife is being so stubborn?? I would be really really angry. I would demand that the midwife checks you and if she doesn't then I would call Labor & Delivery at your hospital and explain what is going on. Best of Luck to you hun!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 10:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• She doesn't sound like a very good midwife to me, as the mom you know your body best, and this is your third so you know what the onset of labor is like. My doctors had told me all along that water breaking was a myth as the beginning of labor, since most women have theirs broken at the hospital. Since each labor goes faster than the one before, it is likely that if she refuses to check until the water is broken, it won't be in time, and the baby will just whoosh right out. Ok, not whoosh, but you know what I mean. If you are against going to the hospital for personal or financial reasons, call another midwife and threaten yours with no longer needing her services.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 11:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would not use her as a midwife if you are going to have more kids. You know you body. If you think something is going on and have been having contractions and want to be checked... then you tell her. If she won't check you, go somewhere else? The whole water breaking thing.... mine didn't break until I had been in labor for 10 or 11 hours and within an hour of it breaking I gave birth. Third babies are tricky too... it could be faster than your first 2, or it could be longer.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• thanks for the advice, i am going to make a trip to the er and have them check me and probably not leave til they get her out!!
    angel_lips

Answer by angel_lips at 11:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• If she wants to wait until your water breaks, it might be too late! My water didn't break with my first son until his shoulders were coming out! I say that you just all her back and INSIST that she at least check to see if you're progressing. If that's too much of an inconvenince or whatever for her, then I think she needs to find a new profession!
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 11:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2008