What are some good organizational household rules for your family?

I ask this because our kids are just graduating from the toddler stage. With two babies and young toddlers - we didn't have any rules for them aside from having to listen to Mommy and Daddy. But now that they are older, I am realizing that having some structure and rules is important. Particularly when it comes to household organizing. (ie. making beds, chores, routines). So what are your household rules for your children? Do they have specific duties they have to do? How do you organize your family? I didn't have ANY structure growing up so I would appreciate ALL the input I can get! :)

MamaTL

Asked by MamaTL at 1:42 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Before bed each night they pick up their toys and put them where they belong.
    Anonymous

• Before we brush teeth any toys that are down stairs have to go back up to their rooms. If we see something out of place we don't walk past it we pick it up. I don't care who's it is...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:47 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Help set the table before dinner
    Help fold towels and facecloths (it keeps them by your side while you sort/fold the other laundry

Think about what would make your daily routines easier and work toward that. When my kids started preschool we could never find their shoes in the morning so I bought a shoe organizer and put it next to the back door. When they come in every day, they put their shoes on the rack. No more frantic morning searches :)
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 1:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Mine are a little older, but the basic rule was - if you have hands, pick it up.
    I don't pick up anything, never have. If it lays for more than 2 days or 2 requests, it goes in the garbage. No matter what it is, the kids learn quickly when their favorite shirt or toy is in the garbage.
    now that they are older, I pretty much have them clean their rooms once a week with no exceptions. Make their bed daily, and pick up after themselves.
    we have outdoor chores too like horsecare, 4 wheeler care and lawnmowing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:58 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My daughter has to hang her coat/sweat shirts on the coat hanger as soon as she walks through the door (it's right there when she walks in through the garage), make sure her homework table is all neat and clean every night before she goes to bed. She has to bring her laundry down every night after taking her shower. She now makes her bed every morning too, even though it's not perfect.
    When she was little, she had to clean up her toys before dinner. Put her books back on the shelf. She also liked sorting the socks when I did the laundry; she would find the right pairs and put them together for me to fold. There are a lot of things little kids can do and when they do it they feel good about themselves. Also, make sure to thank them and praise them.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• At 18 months my girls started picking up their toys and putting away there cloths. This involved me sitting there saying pick up x put it away. And then handing her, her shorts pulling open the drawer. At about 3 yo we started chores. We started with putting the silverware away, picking up your toys, and putting your clean and dirty cloths away.
    Now at 6 yo she does the bathroom garbages, her cloths, silverware, feeds the cat and dog, walks the dog (on non school days), clean her room and the playroom upstairs, waters her plants, set table and take her dishes the sink, and generally picks up after herself.
    Now my 3.5 yo has her cloths, the downstairs and outside play rooms, put away pots and pans, pick up after herself, take her dishes to the sink.
    As my oldest gets more complicated chores my youngest will inherit her chores.
    We also have so other structure things . . . . to be continued
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• The chores have to be done weekly.
    The other structured things are meal times, if you eat at the same time daily you are then hungry then and more likely to eat what is offered. If they don't eat what is offered they have the option of starving, until the next meal time. So breakfast is 7-8 am, morning snack 9-10 am and is a fruit, lunch 12-1 have a meat and a veggie, afternoon snack 2-3 is what ever you want if you had a fruit earlier, dinner 5-6 you have to have a little of everything (seconds what ever you want). This way it is easy to plan if you need to bring a snack or plan to eat out during the day.
    Then there is bed time. It starts at 7 pm pjs, potty, teeth, story, song, and lights out. They share a room so they are allowed to talk quickly until their music turns off.
    As you can see structure is what keeps me sain. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:10 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank you, everyone for you great answers! They were SO helpful! :)
    MamaTL

Comment by MamaTL (original poster) at 2:17 PM on May. 10, 2011