Bi lingual question

I have a question about parents who are bi-lingual... If you were brought up speaking a different language are you raising your children to be bi-lingual and speak that language as well?
I had a friend whose parents were German, they spoke German to each other at home -- I always thought that their German was an interesting language (I did eventually take 6 yrs of German in school).

I had always wished that my grandparents/great grandparents would have passed on their language from 'the old country' to my grandparents and parents.. it would have been neat to be brought up knowing a 2nd language. It is harder to pick up and learn when you are older than when you are a child.

MizLee

Asked by MizLee at 2:02 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's definitely better to speak as many languages as you can. Before my daugher started preschool, we only spoke our language at home. When she started mommy& me preschool, i noticed the first monthor so she was mostly listening and observing and then boom she started speaking English! Then when she started Kindergarten, they tested her language skills at school (since she doesn't speak English at home), but she did great and didn't need to be in English as second language classes. I did read to her in English from the time she was born, even though she didn't speak it until she started preschool. Now she is asking me to help her learn French this summer. They are like a sponge at this age and can learn anything.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I speak french to my kids but have made it a point to teach them American English as well. I don't expect them to stay in the USA all of their lives and would like for them to travel so the more languages they can speak the better.
    Anonymous

• SO n I speak only Spanish to our son. It's sad when I hear my cousins kids n aunts struggle to talk to each other because of the language barrier. My 2yo uses words that impresses my family because he can b so articulate. I love it!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My oldest friend married a Frenchman, so at home Dad only speaks french and mom does english. Their girls take a little longer to talk but they can speak both languages fluently. And they found a pre-school that will support there language choices.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Our home is a spangilsh home! LOL I am half mexican and My mom and grandma speaks nothing but spanish to them. My husband is Greek and Norweign but doesn't know the languages. He does know spanish so he mixes it too. I am planning to buy Muzzy for French as well since my grandfather Was African American and French. Our family has a little bit of everything!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:23 PM on May. 9, 2011