Would you get rid of a pet or pets because you needed fewer mouthes to feed?

My mom thinks that I should get rid of some of my 4 cats and 4 dogs. She thinks it's just to many mouthes to feed etc. These are my family members,my kids are bonded with them etc. How do you feel about this?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 2:04 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have 2 cats, and I would not get rid of them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• ITs not up to your Mom. and No, once I own a pet, they become my family - but I've also never been in that position about not being able to feed my animals/ child
    I guess if it were a realistic choice about feeding my child or my animal, then of course but I hope to never have to deal with that.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If I absolutely had too I would find other homes for my animals before letting my children go hungry. Hopefully though you can find ways to cut back on other expenses. I agree that once we get animals we should treat them like members of the family.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't get rid of them, yes I think money is tight but I adopted them, they are my 4 legged children and they depend on me! One of the cats here belongs to my kid's Dad so when he returns from his deployment the kitty goes back home with him but no, i wouldn't just give away an animal unless I had no way to take care of them at which point my human kids would also be put up for adoption.. NOT HAPPENING!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:08 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If it was a choice between the kids and my pets. The pets would have to find a new home. Other then that, nope they are mine responsibility.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I guess it would depend on how bad finances were and how many other options I'd exhausted. I adore my dog. He's like another kid - but, if my choice was to find him a new home or lose the one I had? if it was to find him a new home or not be able to provide for my two human children...as heartbreaking as it'd be, I'd have to part with the dog.

My brother adopted his 'baby' from a family that was about to be forced into foreclosure on their home. They loved that dog and giving him up didn't make up enough of the gap to keep their home -- but it did open up finances to allow them to find a place to rent and to eat. As hard as it was for them to part with that furry member of their family, the people and their needs dictated the want to keep them had to be put aside. For his own benefit - they couldn't care for him properly based on their finances - he got a new home.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:20 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes I would. Because they aren't people. Feeding my family & paying my utilities would be way more important. Sorry. I care about animals. I have had pets I loved but bottom line, my family comes first.
    Anonymous

• If I did not have the money to feed everyone (including pets) in my home, yes, I would get rid of them. My children would need to eat before an animal.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You know, I see way too many instances of people who can barely afford to take care of their kids & home yet they have pets. Pets are a luxury not a necessity. I never did understand why people who are scraping to get by always seem to have a bunch of dogs, cats, etc. I do not own any pets but if I did I would make darn sure I could afford them before getting any.
    Anonymous

• FIrst and foremost everyone under your roof needs to be well fed, well loved and provided for including your pets. If any living thing in your home is sacrificing quality of care then definitely you should see if you can find a good. loving home for a few or all of your animals.If you are making some luxury type sacrifices because of your pets then keep in mind they are a luxury.comfort item that you chose and you should do your best to keep them.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:48 PM on May. 9, 2011