Any SAHM ever feel useless?

I have a hard time feeling like I make a difference at home. Just a quick backround on me,I am recently a SAHM again. Making the switch back is being harder than I thought.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 2:06 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yeah, it sucks sometimes because your promotions aren't noticed.. you go from folding the laundry and putting it away to letting the kids put it away and fold it.. no one really notices that stuff but you because you have less to do.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Oprah says it is the hardest job in the world! :) I have done all of the roles, and never felt useless. In a grind, taken for granted, bored, angry, valued, frustrated, but never useless! Try to imagine what your family would do if you weren't there due to illness or death. How would they replace you? I don't mean the flu, I mean serious illness! Your kids need you! And even if they don't say it, they don't want anyone else.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 2:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No, I've never felt useless. Taken for granted sometimes, and misunderstood by those who think I live a life of leisure by being home full time.
    Anonymous

• i dont know if useless is the word i'd use but i def feel under valued for sure
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 2:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It's hard to work 24/7 and get no money, no outside recognition and very few thank yous. Useless? No. Overlooked and taken for granted- forgotten by the majority of society? Yes.
    Anonymous

• I felt so accomplished when my sons dentist said I had done a great job taking care of his teeth! Lol! Those r my rewards. Or when my son started dressing himself. He'll b 3 next month. Now that he's mr independent, I get bored. I miss grading my student work n planning curriculum. I miss expanding my mind when it came to my teaching profession.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• oh, YESSS!
    ZoeyMariah.

Answer by ZoeyMariah. at 2:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• sometimes BORED but i know what you mean.i think Dr Phil says its 2 jobs put together! we just don't get paid for it and sometimes we get told that we are useless as housewives/stay at home mothers by others. Some people are destined to work and refuse to become a SAHM and some people are lucky if one of them doesnt have to work.

I think if i were working at the moment, i wouldnt be able to cook as much as i like to, some meals take hours to put together. The people that do work, wish they had more time to spend with their family, i bet.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• All the time.

Part of it is probably that since I can remember (when I started preschool or K) my mother was working. Everybody I knew, both parents worked. In school, we focused on careers.

I don't know if your experience is anything like mine, but I found I was not at all prepared to be a SAHM or to consider it as a success or something I am allowed/supposed to do, a valid career path. That and I'm not as good at it as standard work. Sigh. And it's true that often, if you know a lot of working people, their eyes glaze over and they edge away when they hear you're a SAHM

It's very strange and different if you've been working. Nto that it's bad to be home- some days are just fabulous!, but I always do feel like I'm doing something wrong or cheating, or less valuable as a person than a working person.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:59 PM on May. 9, 2011