What do you suggest?

I am hoping to get a lot of answers to this because I am very up in the air about what to do. My 2nd child is due in 9 weeks, I will once again be breastfeeding exclusively. With my 1st child i didnt get a period again until between 6 and 9 months and i do believe that breastfeeding supresses ovulation when done on a frequent in demand basis in the 1st 6mo. however im not sure i want to rely on that 100%. I was planning to get on the nuvaring, but their website even says not to use while bf'ing, so thats out. then i wanted the mini pill, but i've heard many stories of depression and low low sex drive while on that, SO that sucks too. then there are iud's, but since they prevent implantation if an egg is already fertilized, i don't want that. i believe life starts at the meeting of the sperm and egg, since implanting surely couldn't happen w/out that step coming 1st. i am 20 and my husband is 25, so anything permanent, such as a vasectomy, isn't really a good option, though i am certain that i don't want anymore children for AT LEAST 3-4 years, if even then, he however does certainly want at least one more. and at some point we might want up to two more but like i say, not for at least 3-4years or a little longer. then there is FAM/NFP which sounds good in theory but how effective is it REALLY? i certainly dont want to be like the duggars or something...so please help-which birth contrl method, if any, would you choose and why?

mommiewife11

Asked by mommiewife11 at 2:13 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• condoms! if you don't want the pill, are against IUDs, don't want long term birth control and can't trust BF.. condoms are pretty much your only option unless you want to try the risky "pull out"
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• honestly, the only thing I can think of beyond what you've said is good old condoms. They never worked for us cuz we hated them! Don't rely on BFing - I exclusively BF'd my kids and it never suppressed my period. Also, my MIL got pregnant while BFing while never getting a period! Her kids are less than a year apart - not fun! I used the mini pill - it did kill my sex drive, but I figured that was better than being pregnant too soon and I got off it as soon as I stopped BFing.
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 2:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I was on the Camilla birth control pill- it is very low estrogen and approved for bfing. You should def talk to your dr now to get ideas about what will work for you. I've never used the patch but that might be a good option.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Condoms. My goodness....I think the birth control pill is the only reliable way to prevent pregnancy but ....I guess you might object to the fact that it doesn't allow implantation, too.
    SO-condoms are the only other choice.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i would be fine w/ regular birth control pills since they mostly prevent ovulation in the 1st place-that is the whole point to me, but the combo pills arent good for breastfeeding they say, and there are SO many side effects w/ everything =/ if i could find a good pill i'd be ok w/ that though if it didnt have a million effects.

condoms honestly SUCK i cannot imagine EVERY time we have sex having to use one. that sounds HORRIBLE :(
    mommiewife11

Comment by mommiewife11 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• The problem with Natural Family Planning if you are EBF is that you it's pretty hard to know when you are ovulating without a period date to go off of, so you can't avoid sex at those times. To me, NFP or even using breast feeding as your birth control is only acceptable if you will consider another pregnancy a happy surprise. If you are not ready to get pregnant then I would say condoms, you could try spermicide but I think that's more effective paired with condoms than used on its own, or alternatives to actual vaginal intercourse such as oral sex. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You could consider an ovulation test kit to verify when you're ovulating.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I used the ring and had no problems bfing for 1 year. There is a small amount of estrogen, but not much. Some people could nurse with the ring, others can't.
    And the duggers don't use NFP, they don't plan at all. They just go at it like rabbits and let God figure it out.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:37 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i believe life starts at the meeting of the sperm and egg, since implanting surely couldn't happen w/out that step coming 1st. i would be fine w/ regular birth control pills since they mostly prevent ovulation in the 1st place-that is the whole point to me,

The pill does intend to stop ovulation, but it also forces the uterus to be inhabitable for a fertilized egg, in case one does slip past, and they do slip past. That is why the combo pill is better than the mini pill, it takes care of those eggs that slip past.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• so the mini pill does not do that, at all? it basically works by thickening cm and stopping sperm right?
    mommiewife11

Comment by mommiewife11 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on May. 9, 2011