Summer activities

If you had very little money to spend, what kind of activities could you get your tween into for the summer? We just moved and DD is very bored. I'm pregnant and actually 1 day overdue. At the end of the month school is out and I want to keep DD busy and perhaps make some friends. I thought about 4h but unfortunately sign ups for it were in April.

She was doing dance before but I just don't have the $ for her dance lessons right now.

Any ideas???

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 2:13 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Go to the Y, they have a sliding scale for membership and kids activities. We live at the Y.
    My 6 yo is doing tee-ball and then will start swim this summer.
    My 3 yo is doing dance and will start swim this summer.
    Also Girl Scouts summer camp we are doing a week each month over the summer just to break it up. Our troop is going to get together over the summer just for something to do.
    The City recreation has dance, cheerleading and self-defense, my oldest wants to try cheerleading.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:51 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Try your local park district. ours has activites every week during the summer for kids that age.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Have you looked into your local parks and recreation department? Ours has some great summer programs and depending on your finances you can apply for scholarships so it's very low cost. Is there a skill she wants to learn? How to knit, make friendship bracelets, etc. - you could pick up a book and supplies at a craft store for fairly inexpensive (those are the things my almost 10 yo is in to).

Answer by missanc at 2:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I did a search for my town and summer activities. I didn't know we have a YMCA here. I'll check into that since they do membership dues on your income level.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 2:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Our local library has weekly free activities for children. My daughter loves their summer reading program too; they earn free books. Also, check the parks and recreation department. Also, our school has given us a list of free websites that teach math and language arts using games. My daughter loves going on those websites. We also have a local university that sometimes has free concerts for kids. Did you know that if your child reads 8 books this summer, they can get a free book from barnes and noble?
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/summerreading/index.asp
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

• We're broke so my kids do nothing. They are expected to entertain themselves. They've never done activities in the summer and I refuse to be running around all summer long. The park district here (well in the next town over) offers some classes but even those are way out of our price range ($80/for each kid for a 4 weeks of classes).
    Luckily there are a lot of kids on our block and I rarely see my kids in the summer. They are outside playing, riding bikes, going to the park and having fun.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:16 PM on May. 10, 2011