It takes a village to raise a child?

Do you agree with the statement? Why or why not?

I personally think the village is full of idiots and I don't want them raising my child.

I mean people you don't know, not necessarily your family (who can be a hindrance as well).

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 2:22 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I guess it depends on the village.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:23 PM on May. 9, 2011

• YES, children learn from what they see, hear, smell and touch. if they see someone always being hit when they are out in public they learn that it is acceptable.. They are being raised with your standards but seeing everyone else's and learning from those.. everyone is raising you children, doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, coaches, friends, friend's parents, police, everyone is teaching your child how to grow and shaping who they grow into... you know, raising them?
    Anonymous

• I think "it takes a village to raise a child" means that it's great for grandparents, aunts, uncles, close friends to be involved in a child's life. I think all these people contribute to a child's life in a different way. It helps when they are supportive and attend each other's events. For example my niece is graduating from preschool this week and all the family will be there to support her. My daugthers grandparents, aunts/uncles all attend her dance and piano recitials, or even school carnivals. Then there is the time that the children spend with their grandparents......SO valuable. My daughter's love of nature comes from spending time with my dad. I just think each person contributes so much to the development of the child, when they are involved.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• before gwen was born and i just moved in with MIL and her room mate (we all bought a house to live together) i thought this sounded great. i wouldn't be doing it all alone and i would have support. HA no my instincts told me different then how my MIL was doing it. and if i wanted something a certain way she wouldn't listen to me half the time. and she never actually babysits so i have yet to be away from my 7 month old. *sigh....i miss date nights.
    KittyTussand

Answer by KittyTussand at 2:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think it means as a global community...a society...we SHOULD have a responsibility towards providing an invironment in which it is good to raise a child. Sadly, we fall short of the mark. BUT, there are good people out there, who would stand up for anyones child if they felt they needed help. I am one of those people. If I saw a lost child,or one in harms way, I would not hesitate to step in. I think there are many parents out there that would do the same. It starts with parents and moves on to doctors, schools, coaches, churches..whatever you involve your child in. So in essence, it DOES take a village...unless you raise your child in a bubble.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I personally think the village is full of idiots and I don't want them raising my child.
    I agree with this!!!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think a child needs more than what one person could give them, ANY one person. The more they experience the village, the more they learn from other people.
    Of course, if you are God, then you don't need a village.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No, I don't think it takes a village, but it sure is nice to have extended family who can help out when the going gets tough. I think there is much more frustration among parents who have to go it alone.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You are misinterpreting the phrase.

It takes a village, does not mean you are allowed to boss other parents around. It means that you alone (and your spouse) do not live in a bubble, and the child learns from everyone they meet. Thus, meeting more people and being exposed to how the world works is good for them, in learning how to live in such a world.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No I don't. That statement seems to infer onto others, the same rights as the parents to discipline, teach, etc. any child around. It's one thing for a neighbor to stop a child from doing something dangerous that the parents aren't aware of or tell the parents about bad behavior, it's quite another for said neighbor to take it upon her/himself to discipline the child as if child were their own. Yes, other people children come into contact with do influence them but that influence can be downplayed, even negated by parents & sometimes it should be. If parents are involved with their kids lives, they can raise them just fine without the "village". I dislike the idea that a parents role is downplayed because it "takes a village", & that somehow they are incapable of raising their own children without the help of the "village".
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:12 PM on May. 9, 2011