Run the other way.. FAST!?!?!?!?!!

ok, so i am gonna be 37 weeks on wednesday and I am 4 lbs lighter now than pre-pregnancy weight.. (i lost tons of weight due to eating/drinking healthier, and morning sickness) anyways.. baby has been measuring "big" the whole pregnancy.. well on thursday i had a ultrasound done where the tech said she was estimating him to be 8 lbs 4 oz already and she thinks he will be around 10 and a half pounds at birth.. she wrote in her notes to my midwife that he has accelerated weight.. WELL she called me to tell me that i need to go on a diet and exercise everyday... REALLY!!! I am lighter now than before i even had a baby growing in me.. i think she is crazy.. baby is gonna get what he needs whether i get it or not so i dont understand how a diet will help him lose weight! i am so upset by this because she wants me to wait for baby to come out when he is ready but i am really afraid if i wait til 40-42 weeks that he will be too big and i will need a c-section.. :( i dont know what to do ladies... i need some help.. thanks

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 2:28 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• first off - don't freak out. Those ultrasound estimates can be way off!! Secondly, if you're eating healthy enough that you've lost weight, you're doing enough - don't diet!!!! I'm more concerned that she told you to diet than that she wants you to wait till the baby comes on it's own. Really those techs can be off by as much as 2 pounds which would put the baby at just 6 lbs 4 oz - so don't freak on that!
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 2:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They guess the weight of the baby wrong alot! Dont let them get to you...even if the baby was to be 10lbs (which i doubt) your body can still deliver it. It doesnt automatically mean c-section. I would just wait and see what happens. Dont go on a diet either just try to enjoy the last few weeks and see what happens naturally!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Start by getting a second opinion! I'm not sure how you're supposed to help your baby lose weight...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I love how they THINK they can guess the baby's weights through ultrasounds. DD was "so very small" they said she would end up in the hospital for months after she was born because of how small she was. 6.5lbs at birth, we left the next day.

I think if you personally are worried about how big baby will be you should look at family history of baby birth weight and take that in with you. you exercising won't have anything to do with how big baby is, just how much you can push and how much you can stand before they opt to give you a c-section because you are exhausted
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would not necessarily believe the ultrasound. The further along you are the less accurate it is. I've heard plenty of stories (myself included) where their "estimate" was way off. If you are eating healthy & exercising now what more can you do anyhow? You cant starve because they "think" the baby is big! Women are capable of having large babies vaginally. Just because the baby is big doesnt automatically mean a c-section.
    Anonymous

• maybe they are suggesting that to avoid gestational diabetes? ultrasounds are only guesstimates anyway. i measured 3 weeks smaller when pregnant with my 2nd and ended up delivering a 10.2 lb baby by c-section. then i measured big with my 3rd, delivered a week early and she was average at 8.4 lbs. i wouldn't put much faith into what an ultrasound says. i would stick to a healthy diet and get as much walking in as i could, for both me and the baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• like the other mommas said, don't worry about the the weight thing with the baby...I was told just before I gave birth to my youngest that he was gonna be well over 8lbs at birth (closer to 10lbs) due to his measurements, yet he was only a whopping 5lbs 5 ozs. He was my smallest baby. I can't believe some people...it sounds to me like you have done wonderfully during your pregnancy to take care of you and your precious cargo.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You CAN keep your baby healthy AND maintain a reasonable birth weight by cutting out grains and sugars from your diet. All the necessary nutrients for baby come from meat, veg, and fruit, so give it a try if you're worried about your baby gaining weight this last few weeks. Keep your calories up, but make sure they're not from Wonder Bread and Ice Cream!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:01 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I was enduced at 37 weeks. My doctors said any where from 37 to 40 weeks is full term... I would ask to be induced if you are really that scared. I also know that two pounds should not make a huge difference unless it's all in his head.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 11:53 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I also have a friend that had a c-section because they measured the baby over 8 pounds, but the baby was about 7 pounds 5 ounces at birth so remember that they are not necessarily the most accurate readings.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 11:55 AM on May. 10, 2011