How soon do you start training your kids?

there are 3 friends of mine who have kids aged between 5-10. all of them behave terribly !! kind of like the kids you see on supernanny. it all started when they were all babies and just started crawling. one of the friend is my neighbor so we are at each others' place all the time. so anyways her baby would crawl over to blinds/curtains or decoration pieces on the tables and touch them. even if she would say ''no'' to her kids, ofcourse they would be too young to understand. so everyone would tell her to take it easy as her babies are too little to be trained so early. now they are around 8 years and DO NOT LISTEN AT ALL !!! jumping from the couch, throwing stuff at the tv and just plain old stubborn. even time outs don't work for them. not even taking away things. they start screaming and crying and just throw tantrums whenever she has company at her place. same thing with my other 2 friends who i mentioned in the start of my question.

now my son is 8 months old and he just started crawling.. and yes, he goes straight for the blinds !! lol. i tried a few times to say no to him and move him away from them but he keeps crawling back with this stubborn look on his face. my husband told me to cool down a little bit on the scolding as he's just 8 months. instantly my friend's drama scene played in my mind. so should i start training him at this age or wait for a few years? even at this age he is too stubborn !!! he understands EVERY emotion of ours, but plainly ignores when i try to tell him not to touch anything.. any advices ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely start now. We have 3 boys and we've started "training" them from that young - now they're praised in public for how well behaved they are. It's not how early you do it, it's how consistent you are. If something is off limits it needs to always be off limits - even when he's done it 20 times and you're just tired. Also, if he keeps going for one specific thing, make it unaccessable to him - pull the blinds up or wrap the cord so he can't even get to them. It saves a lot of hassle.
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 2:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i got my kids 'trained' before they were a year.. its hard to spank them when they are a baby! .. altho i do spank mine after they turned 1 and understood what i was saying.. my 3 kids from 2-5 are VERY well behaved in stores/get togethers/at home/other homes.. they dont touch anything they aren't suppose to, they have very good manners.. so its all in how you do it and how early!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• As soon as they understand the word No, they get time outs and scolding. (Normally around 1 1/2 to 2yrs). But at that age you can redirect his attention with other toys.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• first of all, you do not "train" humans. you teach them - BIG difference. some babies are more stubborn than others, my 3rd is a classic example. she is smart as a whip but doesn't like to respond to the word "no". in which case, re-direction comes into play (she is 16 months now) followed by the word "no" in a firm tone. it's taken months to get her to learn what the word really meant, and that there are consequences if she doesn't listen to it, but now she doesn't need as much re-direction anymore. she responds to the word "no".
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Don't scold a baby. He is just curious. Her kids sound like they have bigger issues.
    Anonymous

• not a few years but a couple of months would be better. their behavor will depend on how much your willing to let them get away with and for how long. He's a baby, tell him no and take him to something more appropriate and say we can play with this.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I started as soon as they started getting into stuff. they would reach for something that wasn't theirs and I would take it tell them "No" and hand them something of theirs and give them a kiss or a hug so they understood if it wasn't theirs, don't touch.

I admit, my kids are 2 and 5.. we haven't hit the terrible 2's with my youngest and I don't remember with my oldest but boy have we hit the drama queen 5's! one baby step and time out at a time
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Now :) When babies learn to walk, they can bring something to drop into the laundry hamper, or toy box. They can put books back on the shelf (not standing, maybe but in a pile :))
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 2:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have taught my kids since they were old enough to crawl, I see nothing wrong with telling him no and pulling him away from them... If you teach a child from infancy then it is deeply seeded. I'm not talking about smacking hands or spanking butts...Just a firm No and consistency... it'll take time because they are curious..but telling him no isn't going to hurt him. My grandmother would tell you to smack his hand and tell him no every time he touches it...amazing how much time can change parenting.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• always scold when they hit, or bite... i think a time out (min for every year of age) at age 3 is appropriate, too. I absolutely do NOT allow back talk and always explain the punishment before, asking my children to restate what they did wrong and why it was wrong first.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 2:36 PM on May. 9, 2011