How Young is too Young

I have an 18month old son, and I'm thinking about day care but not to sure if hes to young or not..I work full time and hate having to rely on a friend to babysit him till i get home from work. hes a very active little boy, he loves to be around people..

If i do decide to go the day care route (so he can have other contact with children his own age)

What should i look for? What should I ask?

First time mom so still unsure what to do with the daycare factor (heard to many horror stories with what happens to young children at daycare places..)

Please Help

AngelsMommy2009

Asked by AngelsMommy2009 at 2:38 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ran a daycare in my home for years till I went back to school. Ask about what happens on a normal day's schedule there, ask about basics like cpr and first aid training, ask about a safe place to play inside and out, ask about if you need a back up person for if they're sick or on vacation. Most of all, spend some time getting to know the person (1/2 hour or more) and go with what your gut tells you.
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 2:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Daycares usually start watching babies as young as 6 weeks, so he's certainly not too young. Ask if they teach them anything, and if so, what... Also find out about breakfast and lunch, snacks... that type of thing. Meet his teacher... BEFORE you decide to register. You want to meet everyone your child will come in contact with. And you have that right. Ask about naptime. What will you need to get for him when he starts?
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• He is at the right age to be in Daycare. Not only that it will help with his learning and being around other children. You need to check out the day care and make sure it has a curriculum. That he is learning. Not just going there to watch TV and play. Secondly the safety, security, staff etc. Also as for references and recommendations.
    qubanprincess

Answer by qubanprincess at 2:42 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my dd is 15mnths and i hope and pray i never have to send her to daycare..i worked in a daycare and its not the best place for a child to be..they are horrible..if at all possible i would let him continue to stay with a friend..i know ppl say they need interactions with other kids but im still not to sure myself..

i would check to see how clean the facility is
    i would ask what their sickness policy is
    i would ask for info on my childs teachers so that i would feel better (bc most of them hire anyone off the street)
    i would also check on what their injury policy is.

there are so many its just hard to list them all..
    Anonymous

• ask them whatever questions you feel you need answered, nothing is "out there" or unacceptable to ask. since you are already working, i would've gone the daycare route if i could've afforded it. it will be nice for him to be in a social environment.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:43 PM on May. 9, 2011

• all four of my children have been in daycare at some point. Look for cleanliness, see if you can stop in without notice, ask what their routine is. What about the call off for them and you policy . What type of snacks/meals do they have, what is there "discipline" policy. How many children do they take care of, are they certified in CHILD cpr, first aide.

Also look for a change in your child's behavior after the fact that they are in daycare... and if you feel that your friend needs a break, maybe see if she can watch your child 2 or 3 times a week and alternate between daycare. You may find that you can put an ad in the paper and have people come to you for interviews... oh which reminds me, check your daycares references...they should all have them and give them freely. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think the best way to find a good daycare is to get recommendations from other Moms. I lovemy daycare provider and give her name to anyone who asks because I really believe she is doing a great job. I chose an at home daycare for my DD when she started at 7 months. I am more comfortable with that for now because there are less people coming and going, and my dd's care is provided by the same person everyday and there is also a lot of one on one attention that kids under 3 still need because there are only a few kids there. Go for a visit before you decide on anyone and then go with your gut. My dd loves going to daycare, she loves playing with her little friends all day, and she really loves the woman who cares for her, and is loved and care for in return. I dreaded having to do it but it turned out to be one of the best things I have done for my dd so far. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:55 PM on May. 9, 2011

• if you don't have too I wouldn't. Especially at 18mo. That is the height of separation anxiety for most kids(if it hasn't started yet, give it mo and it probably will).

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i had all of my children start about 14 to 18 months...they were at least able to show or gesture anything that they learned or had happened to them....i would definitely check the curriculum at the day care...how many staff members in each class and emergency procedures....and if you feel that uncertain...sit at one of the daycare sites just to observe the atmosphere... :)
    deejai741

Answer by deejai741 at 3:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Every county/area has preschool information websites. I find it frustrating that they don't seem to all be in one place. When I was considering one for my kids (I was going to go back to work part-time), I looked them all up for info. They were all highly-rated, but one had only a couple paperwork violations and another had lost track of children mroe than once!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 6:06 PM on May. 9, 2011