Best way to transition baby from formula to milk

I keep hearing kind of different methods so did you have more luck with half formula/half milk method or just go cold turkey? We have WIC so we can't just do toddler formula,that and they don't make a lactose free version. And did you throw out the bottles at a year old or what? Because with how particular he is with what belongs in what( Juice goes in the cup not the bottle or he won't drink it,formula goes in the bottle not the cup or he won't drink it.) The idea of getting rid of his bottles is scary.

Last question WIC gives a choice between goat milk or Lactaid because of his sensitive tummy. Which one would you do?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:45 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never put milk in a bottle. by a year both kids had learned to drink from a sippy quite well and I just put milk in there at meal times. By a year, kids are on quite a bit of table food so they should be getting their nutrients through that
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:54 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm not familiar with goat milk at all but my daughter was on the lactaid and she hated the taste of it (just as a warning to you). I had to use carnation instant breakfast in it for her to drink it. When I cooked with it, I had no trouble at all and the food still tasted the same as it did if I would have used cow milk. It didn't cause any trouble with her tummy, was very easy on her where milk was a nightmare...only trouble with it was the flavor thing.
    And on my kiddos' first birthdays, I tossed all bottles so they didn't have a choice on getting their bottles back (and by then, they were doing really good w/ a sippy). The first couple of nights were more difficult getting them down but once they were down, they were out for the night and it only took 2 or 3 nights before things got much better at bedtime. Good Luck!
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:56 PM on May. 9, 2011

• What I did to transition was fill the bottle 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk one week. The next week its half formula and half milk. The third week is 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula. Worked quite well for my dd. I know transitions from is gonna be scary it was for me as well. I don't know what to tell you about transition when he's that particular with juice and milk. I hope someone on here can give you advice on that. Try lactaid at first and if he doesn't like it go with the goats milk. good luck :-)
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 2:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• 1/2 and 1/2 on the milk, for a few days but each time use less of the formula. My son was like milk bottle/ everything else cup. try telling him about the big boy things, he's getting older, big boys use cups, sippy's but if u can get him to a cup then thats better, try a cup with a straw ... if he likes ice.. let him put a few cubes in a cup of milk...like big boys drink it... etc, try different things but also get him to throw away the bottle himself.... or you put it up out of sight. it takes a few days but stick to it.
    which kind of milk???? might need to ask the nutritionist that question when u go back.... May be a person preference for you.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I started with 2oz milk/6oz formula for a week, then 4ozmilk/4oz formula for another week, then 6oz milk/2oz formula for another week.

I used Lactaid at first for about 2 months, but then switched him to goat's milk later and he liked that a lot better.

As for the bottles, he was about 14 months and just could not figure out the sippy, so I bought him the ones with straws inside and it was a matter of about 3 days before the bottle was completely out of the picture.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:01 PM on May. 9, 2011