Ugh it makes me mad.

My cousin has a new girlfriend and they have a son together who is 1. The new girlfriend has two teenage girls from a previous relationship and the father is not in the picture.

We were all out to eat and having a good time when my cousin's gf told one of her daughters not to text on the phone when her grandmother is talking to her and the girl erupted in rage saying "don't tell me what to do, I can do whatever I want!" she also shouted "shut up" to her mother. I couldn't believe it. I guess this happens often and the mother bursted into tears.

These teen girls have no boundaries and are spoiled rotten. The mother gets no respect and it is so sad. I know it's her fault for raising her kids like that but I can tell she is at her wits end.

I got mad at the table and yelled at them. I told them not to talk to their mother like that and they should have respect. I think it fell on deaf ears because all they did was make a sour face and look away. they said whatever and walked out of the restaurant. My cousin didn't do anything but sit their quiet, while his gf sobbed.

I seriously felt like spanking those girls. Is there any hope for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have told them too. It can be hard to change them now that they are teens, but always something will come before them in life that will make them wish they had listened to those who were only trying to forewarn them about their behaviour and where it may led them.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:48 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Of course there is! I know plenty of people who were AWFUL during their teenage years then when they hit about 21 seemed to have a lobotamy and become lovely people.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 2:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Aw :( That is too bad. My advice is to say something if you want NOW. if you wait too long, it gets swept further under the rug.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 2:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• there is hope as long as people like you stand up for this mom who is a wits end and show the girls their behaivor is unacceptable. good job, mama!!!!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 2:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Unless they set rules, and boundaries for these " already grown" teens... and stick to the punishment. They are gonna continue to live like this. Sounds like neither cousin or GF has any balls, and the teens know this. I'd have snatched the phone from her and politely told her to yell at me one more time. and she wouldnt get her phone back for starters. I'm sure she doesnt pay the phone bill either.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have seen older kids mouth off and just be down right nasty. Usually with single parents they get away with it because either the mother doesn't care, or she is trying to make up for the father not being there. These girls should know that it is not okay to be talked to like that, and maybe next time they should have their cell phones taken away from them. Consistency is one of the most important things in a teenagers life.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes there is hope for them, plenty of rude, rebelious teens grow up to learn common sense and common courtesy.

Your cousin and his girlfriend probably need to learn some straight "this action = this consequence" style discipline.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:55 PM on May. 9, 2011

• mannnn mom is better than me cause I would have jumped across that table so fast.....
    You did the right thing bu speaking up for her
    It sound likes their from the show me state. They may have to learn the hard way
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 2:56 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have a theory all or most kids lose their minds when they become teenagers. Mine are not anymore spoiled then the next kid, but 2 of them lost their damned minds as teens. Thankfully my 21 yr old has hers back now. I am still dealing with my 19 yr old, he seems to be getting over it, and now my 17 yr old is losing his mind lol. I dont spank, I do discipline though. You dont know really what they are going through either. Mom has this new bf, new child, what kind of relationship if any do they have with their dad, blah blah. It all comes into play.

Answer by gemgem at 3:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• well.....first of all...i agree with you trying to put fear in those young ladies by telling them to respect their mother....but even still she has to put her foot down...or sooner or later those girls will reap what they sow later in life...i would have thought that the bf would have said something either to the girls to enforce what you said or to at least comfort his gf...it just makes me wonder whats gonna happen when their one yr old starts growing up....if it were me...i would have grab those girls..had a talk and demanded respect...if not they wouldnt be back in my house if they thought they were that GROWN...SMH!!!!!
    deejai741

Answer by deejai741 at 3:06 PM on May. 9, 2011