Best way to transition baby from formula to milk

I keep hearing kind of different methods so did you have more luck with half formula/half milk method or just go cold turkey? We have WIC so we can't just do toddler formula,that and they don't make a lactose free version. And did you throw out the bottles at a year old or what? Because with how particular he is with what belongs in what( Juice goes in the cup not the bottle or he won't drink it,formula goes in the bottle not the cup or he won't drink it.) The idea of getting rid of his bottles is scary.

Last question WIC gives a choice between goat milk or Lactaid because of his sensitive tummy. Which one would you do?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:53 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd could not drink formula she always threw it up regardless of taking her reflux meds by 8mnths she was only getting down 1 bottle perday..so at 8mnths i totally quick formula cold turkey and started giving her whole milk..i since then have not had any reflux problems and she is very healthy..i did not have a problem switching..by 10mnths she was off of the bottle and totally on a sippy..i did go against my doctors advice not to switch so early but i felt it was best for my daughter and i was right..try it cold turkey or try it half and half..
    Anonymous

• What I did to transition was fill the bottle 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk one week. The next week its half formula and half milk. The third week is 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula. Worked quite well for my dd. I know transitions from is gonna be scary it was for me as well. I don't know what to tell you about transition when he's that particular with juice and milk. I hope someone on here can give you advice on that. Try lactaid at first and if he doesn't like it go with the goats milk. good luck :-)

sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 3:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If your son already has a sensitive stomach I would go three parts formula to one part milk, then if he does ok with that go half and half, then do three parts milk and one part formula, and finally all milk. If you do each combo for a week to see how he does with it then the whole transition should take four weeks. As for Lactaid or goat's milk, do you know what it is that your son's tummy is sensitive to? If it's lactose then I would think Lactaid would be your best bet. If it's the proteins in the milk then I am not sure which one would be better, you might have to do trial and error and see what works. My dd is allergic to a protein in milk called casein so she is on rice milk. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:07 PM on May. 9, 2011

• He did originally have a protein allergy but it improved at about month 8, so at this point we're off the Alumentum and on the lactose free formula. So we're sure that it's the lactose now.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• First off remember that every baby is different. Start by intruding them to milk, 2% or whole milk is recommended, by giving your baby a glass a day for a week. Then less and less breast milk or formula and more and more regular milk. This way their bodies and tastes buds are able to adjust to the difference. Also if your baby seems to be spitting up a lot with the 2% or whole milk try soy milk, but check with your doctor first.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 4:08 PM on May. 9, 2011

• do half and half start small and work your way up to pure milk
    jmiljies

Answer by jmiljies at 8:20 PM on May. 9, 2011