Running a marathon

It has always been a goal for me and I am finally going to do it!
Now, how to start? Do you suggest starting small, with like a 5K? And then moving up to a half marathon? Or just go for it and jump right in w/a full marathon?

Thanks!

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 3:06 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Congrats! I just ran my 1st on 4/30! It is recommended to run for a year consistently before tackling a marathon - not only do you have to build up your cardiovascular system which doesn't take long but also your musculoskeletal system which takes longer to strengthen. Running, as simple as it is, can be hard on your body, it's definitely not low impact. I started off too fast and ended up with injuries like tendinitis, bursitis and IT band issues. I scaled back and built up slower and sure enough, right at about a year my body caught up with my heart. Before I ran a full 26.2, I ran 3 5k's, 2 half marathons and a 12 person relay race over 190 miles. I don't think signing up for a shorter distance will cause you not to sign up for the full - it'll only fuel your desire to keep racing. They are SO much fun!!! Feel free to msg me with more questions if you like.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Contact local running shoe stores and see if they have any training programs. Otherwise, check into a fund raising training group such as Team in Training. Marathon training can get really boring if you're doing it on your own, so these groups are great.
    I suggest signing up for a marathon that is about 6 months away. The problem with signing up for a shorter distance is you may decide not to go through with the marathon after doing some shorter runs, such as a 1/2 marathon. Just commit to a race and go for it!
    MrsC2011

Answer by MrsC2011 at 4:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Everyone I know who's done it has done it differently. Some started with the 5Ks, 10Ks, before moving up to the big ones. Others worked with trainers and their first marathon was an actual 26-miler. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• Start small because you have to get your body ready for something big like that. But if you do go all in, Good Luck and its a great activity to be in!
    Aeternam

Answer by Aeternam at 4:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd recommend starting with a 5K and building up. It'll also give you a feel for what races feel like.
    I am training for my first half-marathon (August 21). I ran my first 5K in February, and my first 10K this past weekend. I still walk about 1/4 of my distance, but I managed to run the last mile of my 10K, and had a negative split! I may do a full marathon in the next year.
    I did something similar to C25K (but I was way behind where C25K starts, so I needed to build up even more)- I started running a block, waking a block, then run two, walk one, and built up from there until I was able to run the whole distance (about 1.75 miles). Then I started adding distance. My normal runs now are about 4 miles. I'm not fast yet, but I'm getting there. I'm still carrying over 200 lbs, but the running has helped me lose about 45 lbs so far (part of the 60+ I've lost in the last year).
    Feel free to PM me if you like! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:23 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Google it- There are plans to get you ready.
    I have run half marathons, but never a full. GL!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:29 PM on May. 9, 2011