How do you feel about this?

Where’s Hillary? Hasidic paper breaks the rules by editing Clinton out of White House photo

By Joe Pompeo

Hillary Clinton's expression, right hand clasped over her mouth in astonishment, is largely responsible for making the above photo iconic--and, to at least one newspaper, sexually suggestive.

In the photo, President Obama and his national security team are huddled around a conference table in the White House Situation Room, watching CIA director Leon Panetta narrate last Sunday's raid on Osama bin Laden's compound. The mood is clearly tense.

When Women's Wear Daily consulted a coterie of photo editors and designers about why the image is "destined to be one for the history books," Clinton was foremost in their responses.

"The Hillary Clinton expression is the one that holds the photograph fully," Time's photo director told the magazine. "You can see 10 years of tension and heartache and anger in Hillary's face," Conde Nast's Scott Dadich agreed.

Turns out she was probably just coughing during that crucial moment captured by White House photographer Pete Souza. But nevertheless, the image still proved a bit too racy for at least one of the many newspapers that printed it.

That would be the Ultra-Orthodox Hasidic broadsheet Der Tzitung, published in Brooklyn. The paper photoshopped Clinton, as well at the only other woman who could be seen in the room--Audrey Tomason, the national director of counterterrorism--out of the frame.

"Apparently the presence of a woman, any woman, being all womanly and sexy all over the United States' counterterrorism efforts was too much for the editors of Der Tzitung to handle," noted the prominent women's blog Jezebel.

Indeed, "The Hasidic newspaper will not intentionally include any images of women in the paper because it could be considered sexually suggestive," Rabbi Jason Miller explains in The Jewish Week. Though he notes that the publication's "fauxtograpphing" may in fact be a graver act against their religious tenets: "To my mind, this act of censorship is actually a violation of the Jewish legal principle of g'neivat da'at (deceit)."

Beyond that, Der Tzitung's editors apparently missed or blatantly ignored the guidelines stipulated on the official White House Flickr page, where the photo was released for use by news organizations: "The photograph may not be manipulated in any way."

The White House has not issued a response on the altered image.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:12 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel that you should stop following Fox News with posts of your own, like you found it. So obvious
    Anonymous

•  

I feel that you should stop following Fox News with posts of your own, like you found it. So obvious

This isnt from FOX

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I really don't care, I certainly don't think it's worth anyone getting upset over. Frankly the less I see and hear about Hillary the better.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:18 PM on May. 9, 2011

• How do I feel about it? Apathetic. I don't really care. I might if I subscribed to that publication, but I don't. I am not Hasidic Jew and do not live by those tenets.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Hm. It's weird that they edited her out. I'd be pissed if it were me edited out.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 3:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think this is all last weeks news to me now.

Answer by gemgem at 3:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• As long as they're not lying and saying she was never in it then it doesn't matter to me.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 3:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Indeed, "The Hasidic newspaper will not intentionally include any images of women in the paper because it could be considered sexually suggestive," Rabbi Jason Miller explains  in The Jewish Week. Though he notes that the publication's "fauxtograpphing" may in fact be a graver act against their religious tenets: "To my mind, this act of censorship is actually a violation of the Jewish legal principle of g'neivat da'at (deceit)."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

Answer by Anonymous 7 minutes ago
    .___________________________________
    I saw this on Yahoo's news.....and it shows that some people are idiots.
    WHy harp on Fox and bash a poster for just asking us how we feel about the idiots editing out Hillary? Geeeee.
    I think it was a valid question.
    What is the deal with YOU?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I find it very odd. I do not think that it is ok, because it is censorship and a very historical picture, it being edited will cause a loss of history, for this group at least.  It is misinformation.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:24 PM on May. 9, 2011