Peanut Allergy

How do you test if your child has outgrown an allergy? My 19 mo dh had a mild reaction to eggs, ammoxicilan milk, and peanut butter. I know he has outgrown his egg and milk allergies but how do I test peanut butter. I discovered this allergy when he was 12 mo and he took a bite of his sisters sandwich. His face was red and puffy and his eyes even swelled up. I called the doc and they told me to give him Benadryl which helped a lot. I have been told he will most likely outgrow this but how do you safely test that theory?

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 3:25 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dd has an allergy & we are taking her to the allergist again to see if she has out grown it. I am surprised your Dr. did not tell you to go see an allergist Dr. when you found out your child reacted? the allergist can see how serious of a reaction is & let you know the severity of it. Book an app. & go see an allergist. If you have another child you should get that child tested also. I would do this soon & GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You can take him to an allergist and they'll do the skin prick to see if he's still sensitive.
    Anonymous

• Go to the doctors and get a test done.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 3:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

• BTW he is to young for a skin test. They don't do them until they are 5.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:29 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If he had that serious a reaction from one bite of a sandwich I would not test this out at home. Definitely have the doctor check with a skin test, or they can do a blood test, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Ask the dr to pull another RAST test. That is typically how they find out about those things in the first place. My DD will never outgrow her peanut, egg and a few others. Her IgG's were so high that we need to have an epi and benadryl available at all times.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• When they say they will outgrow it they mean in 5-7 yrs. Most allergies change or go away in most people in that time period.

Answer by gemgem at 3:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My girl was 2.5 yrs old when it happened. She is 4 now & taking her for retesting in June we have our fingers crossed. I think you should go at 2yrs old then as soon as ya can.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• One more thing e: the peanut allergy the allergist told us to make sure our daughter stays away from peanut products obviously but also tree nuts so everything we buy is peanut/nut free.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• At what age would you recommend to take him to an allergist?
    wendydays

Comment by wendydays (original poster) at 3:28 PM on May. 9, 2011