Let it slide or confront the issue?

We have two weeks of school left.

My 1st grader was up a lot last night coughing. His allergies are really hitting him hard. I forgot to send a note to his teacher this morning explaining he had cough drops. I emailed her as soon as I realized I forgot to send a note. She received the email before his bus even pulled up to the school. I know because she responded. I mentioned he may seem tired due to coughing last night, and he has cough drops if he needs them. She responded with a thank you, and she would make sure he used them if needed. She said she hoped I had a lovely mother's day. She also mentioned the field trip coming up. It was a pleasant exchange.

He comes home and he lost points for yawning. Should I say something or let it go? We only have two weeks of school left. I think this was a petty reason for him losing points.

********I had a go round with her earlier in the school year for her marking him points off for coughing. The irony was all the coughing she was doing when I went to the school to discuss that issue with her.****

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How obnoxious! Yawning is a sign you are trying to pay attention. Coughing is a normal reaction to throat irritation. I think you let it go until report cards are submitted, then talk to the principal, because giving kids points off for these things is inappropriate, and I'm sure she's doing it to other children, too.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would be going another round with that woman if it were me! Stupid and petty things; such great values to teach our children!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Points lost for yawning? Sounds like b-------.
    Anonymous

• She sounds like a bitch and I would confront it no doubt!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• For yawning...that's ridiculous, so is losing points for coughing. Her and I would have words and I'd be losing more than points.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It is late in the school year, but I would have to bring it to the teacher's attention and ask it he was disrupting the class with exaggerated yawns (being silly) or natural body functions. You need to know if he was being loud and playing up his "yawns". If not than this is a bit much and you should call her out.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 3:57 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Are you sure that he lost points for yawning? Maybe you should ask the teacher? I have a first grader who doesn't always understand why he lost points at school & I have to email the teacher. And when she tells me what happened, I'll ask him about it & he'll say "Oh yeah! THAT was what happened!"
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 3:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thanks ladies. We have had a LONG year with this woman. I have never had issues with any other teachers in the school system. I am glad my dd did not have her and can not wait for ds to be out of her class.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Sleepycupcake I do know it was for yawning. She actually wrote out why he lost points. Her exact response was "excessive yawning".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd confront her.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:58 PM on May. 9, 2011