Anyone else have thyroid disease?

I do. I have the one where its too slow (hypothyroidism I think, I can never remember). Ugh, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I have been overweight ever since I can remember. Lost 90 pounds my 18th summer and took me 8 years to put it back on. Gained 14 pounds with pregnancy, then lost 31 after delivery. Starting to pack the pounds back on again. Over the last 20 years I have tried every diet, fad and exercise program known to man, but I never get any results. I pray my daughter doesn't inherit this disease from me.

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 3:53 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Health

• Sweetie, I can so relate! Bless your heart. I have hypo (underactive), as well,and it is a nightmare! I found out after my last baby was born,but not till he was 4. Dr. said it probably started when I was pregnant with him. I still haven't been able to loose the weight, and he is 17. LOL. To make matters worse, my old doctor put me on Cymbalta for my Fibromyalgia,and that caused MORE weight gain! I'm seeing a new doctor, who took me off the Cymbalta,and is testing my tsh levels,to see if I need my Thyroid meds increased. I really hope you are able to do better with your's. Have you had your levels checked recently? If you are on meds,they may need to be adjusted.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have my levels checked every 6 months and have been doing so since I was 13. Sucks. At my smallest I was only a size 16. God what I wouldn't give to be that size now! Lol
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes, I have hypothyroidism too. I don't think anyone who doesn't have it can really understand the exhuastion, the inability to eat a piece of lettuce without weight gain and the ease of getting every other illness. If you are having true weight issues that are thyroid related I would suggest that you get on line and do some serious research about natural thyroid hormones, testing and some of the things that can cause some doctors to undertreat it, supplements. Find a good endocronologist and let them know that after years you never felt bettter. .5 mcg can make a huge difference in how you feel. There are also some things that nobody seems to tell you like how I ate tofu burgers gained 10 pounds and discovered it was actually not a good idea for a person who is hypothyroid to eat soy. I have given up on exercise. I have found weight training and exercise for long periods of time and a high protien low carb diet to be the best
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I hear ya on that! I've never been small,either, but this is the most I've ever weighed,and I'm ready to get it off! It's good you keep a watch on your levels, I do too. That's the only way.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• hotelmom123, that's very interesting, do you have any websites handy? I'd be very interested.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have hypothyroid and even on synthroid i am having trouble losing weight. I work out and eat less and it does come off, just really slowly.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my sister has this bascilly just watch wat you eat and excersise she got this after her second baby
    sarahullery11

Answer by sarahullery11 at 11:56 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Unfortunately, I have had hypothyroidism since I was 13 and exercise/diet doesn't work well for me. Everyone is different with the disease. As stated in my original post, I have tried every diet/fad/exercise program known to man and it just doesn't work.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I have hypothyroidism my thyroid doesn't work at all i'm on thyroid replacement.They have to regulate it every couple of months though its a pain besides my hair thinning and being tired and having trouble losing weight it is a hard disease to have.
    Hollyann126

Answer by Hollyann126 at 10:59 PM on May. 10, 2011