Working out and breastmilk supply

I really wanna get my butt in gear, but I heard it can hinder my supply! so if you were/ are breastfeeding and working out did you notice a difference in your supply?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 3:58 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You can work out and not have impact on supply. It's VERY RARE to see an impact... and most of the time show me a mom who had a supply impact and I'll show you a mom who forgot to stay hydrated. 64 ounces of water. Every day.

Just don't to two Iron Man Triathlons back-to-back.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I second that, keep drinking water. Water water water! If you are not thirsty, just keep drinking. I was so thirsty when I was BF, I cannot believe that anyone who is BF is not drinking gallons every day! Second, just remember to keep your scheduled feedings up, the more you BF the more a supply you will have! So don't work out when you would be BF'ing thinking you can just skip a feeding, KWIM? Schedule around the baby. And don't stress, women have been doing this for centuries. Working out is no different from actual work that other women in other countries are doing every day! Like pumping and carrying water, weeding gardens, etc. Dig?
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 4:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I breastfed and worked out just fine.. just drink as was stated. Just drink enough and have fun!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 4:04 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I ran a half marathon when dd #1 was 8 months, and ran a half marathon when dd #2 was 6 months. It's been no problem at all for me. I even nursed my first daughter 30 minutes after the race. :)
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 4:12 PM on May. 9, 2011