What age can a child do chores?

My 5 year old daughter is always wanted to do something I don't want to tell her anything like don't worry about it because when I do really need her around the house she might not want to do it. How can I keep her interested.

Boys can clean up too any ideas for them (7yrs. old)

Just to let you know I am the type of mom if you want something done right you have to do it yourself how can I shake that way of thinking out of me. I strongly believe my stress level with go down big time. ( I just gave myself the best advice without knowing...lol) silly me. Thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Home & Garden

• SHE CAN CLEAN HER ROOM ,PICK UP TOYS SHE CAN HELP FOLD LAUNDRY , FFED THE CAT OR DOG, SHE CAN VACUM, PPUT DIRTY DISHES IN THE DISH WASHER , SHE CAN SWEEP MINE DID ALL THAT AND LOVED IT NOW AT 9 IT'S GETTING HARDER TO GET HER TO DO THEM LOL !!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• depends on the child some children get overwelmed w/ even small stuff my 11 hates doing dishes but does'nt mind cleaning the bathroom go figure
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I am the same way as you are. Do it myself type person.
    But when you have kids (boys and girls) you have to teach them things, that includes house cleaning and yard cleaning.
    Sop you job is to teach them the right way to clean. It's a pain but they need to learn.

Answer by louise2 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My 5 y/o loves to put away the silverware from the dishwasher, plus it's a great sorting activity. She also likes to help fold and put away laundry, set the table, and load the dishwasher. If you just want her out of the way, but let her feel important, give her a swiffer duster, lol. That works wonders when I'd rather just do things myself.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Kids can start chores,small chores as early as 3 yrs old. Picking up their toys type stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• A 3 year old can make her bed, sweep the floor, help set the table.
    A 5 year old can start learning to clean the bathrooms, clear the table, put clean dishes away, help put laundry away, lots of things!
    A 7 year old can certainly learn to vacuum, dust, clean the bathrooms.

Lower your expectations and never, never redo the job for them. That teaches them that their efforts are "make-work" and don't count. If they do a terrible job, point out what's wrong and ask them to do it over. "The mirrors look great sweatie. Oh, I see toothpaste still in the sink. How about grabbing the sponge and give the sink another quick clean?"
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My 7 year old has always had to clean up his own messes from the time he was able to....we used to do it together at age 1, age 2 I would still help him but more him, almost 3 on his own. Now he's 7 and takes out the garbage.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm the same way, I would rather stay up late or get up early to take of the things even tho my husband is more than willing to help out. the great thing with kids is you can teach them to do things exactly how you want. my son is 3 and has a list of chores. I've gotten alot of crap about being mean or too harsh or having expectations set to high.he takes the recycling out, after he is done eating he takes his dishes to the sink. if there is food left, he scrapes it in the trash. he feeds the dogs. he helps with laundry- collect it, sort it, load it, fold it (not so much, but he tries), and put it away. he cleans his own toys and makes his own bed. he puts his shoes and jacket away himself as well. I'm proud that i have taught him so well!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Include her every chance you get. Just let her do little steps. For instance, she can wipe the counter while you are cleaning the toilet, or she can dry the plastic dishes or put the cups away. When you break up parts of your job and include her in the work, she will not only learn a lot but really enjoy the time she spends with you.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 6:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Teaching them now to do chores is the best thing you can do for them. There are all kinds of things that kids can do to help. My 3 and 5 year old boys clean up their toys, their room, their playroom, they take off their sheets and help to put them on and they also help with getting laundry together. They also have to go through the house at dish washing time to make sure we have all the dirty dishes (usually cups). They also are required to clean up the dining room floor and kitchen floor so I can sweep and mop. They typically enjoy helping out and it gives us family time together too.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2008