Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Bought our house in oct and were haveing an issue with our neighbors advice please.

we bought a house with 2.02 acres of land. when we closed on the house there was small print about impact on the view everyone at signing told us it was nothing. so now were building a small chicken coop and i guess our neighbors way behind us are complaining they can see it in there veiw and said we can not build it, we can not also have our wood pile in a certin spot. i guess what they told dh is that when the originol owner bought this land they talked to him and had it put in this deed about the veiw thing. the owner has since died ( we bought it off his family ) is there anything we can do? we didnt buy a house for someone to tell us we can put something somewars ( if it was a town rule we would know and understand) so what do we do? is there anything we can do? and would we have to call someone and if so who? i know worse case is we do it anyways and they have it orderd to be moved which of corse when the coop is done would be hard. right now its just a frame. my dh is gonna be so mad when he gets home and sees this note. and now im also upset. most of our land is in there veiw so to speak. they are ok with us planting fruit trees which is good cause i already planted 4. any advice PLEASE!

Answer Question

Asked by tabbys4 at 4:03 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 16 (2,706 Credits)
Answers (27)
  • Get a high fence than nothing will be in their view.

    Answer by loudnproud87 at 4:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Nope, nothing you can do if it's in your deed.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 4:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I would advise having a lawyer look over everything to make sure you understand what this "impact of view" is and what EXACTLY it means.

    Answer by Fairierose81 at 4:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I know in our town if we want to erect anything on our property we have to get our neighbors' okay - we wanted to add a back driveway since it's always muddy where DH parks, but the neighbor who's property line is 4 feet from where the edge would be said no - because we wanted to use rock and he doesn't want rock in his yard. When we moved in we put up a fence for our dog and we had to get the neighbors to all say okay - thankfully they did. So it could be in the town laws too, you may want to check that out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • You're going to have to get a copy of your deed and take it to a lawyer. If it is just the "view" they are concerned with, plant something so that they can't see the chicken coop, but take it to a lawyer first. It may be BS. Keep it nice with the neighbors, btw, you don't want a feud in your first few weeks there!

    Answer by dwmom2008 at 4:07 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Did you use a realtor for the house sale? They might have some resources / attorneys / insight on what the legal-ese means??

    Answer by tigrefan98 at 4:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Go to the court house and see if their is a county rule.
    Go to a lawyer and get the lawyer to read your house paperwork to see if it says something like that.
    If their is no county/city rule or nothing in the house paper work.
    You can do what you want on your property.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I agree with the others, talk to a lawyer and see what your rights are and if this neighbor has the right to tell you what you can/can't do. Another option.... could you put something up to "hide" the chicken coop from their view--- like a fence or plant a hedge and let it grow tall?

    Answer by MizLee at 4:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Depending on where you live first thing I would do is check with your county/township and see if there are any ordinances about poultry in residential areas. Where I live you can not have farm animals in areas zoned residential. Then you need to read over your deed. If you see any parts that you question than you may need to contact a attorney.

    Footnote. In disclosure at closing this should have been noted

    Answer by sipn_mom at 4:18 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • yes, certainly can make changes to the deed! But you'll most likely need a lawyer. You can do it without one, but it's complicated. Just let the lawyer do all the work & sign the papers....

    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.