First OB apointment?

I have my first OB apointment tomorrow. What can I expect? I'm 10 weeks and 1 day along. I know that because I know exactly when it happened.... I'd ask my adoptive mom but that's kinda awkward since she's my boyfriends birth mother...

hannahlovesseth

Asked by hannahlovesseth at 4:04 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Pelvic exam with pap smear if your due for one
    STD check
    urine test for pregnancy, protein, and blood
    blood work
    they may try to hear the baby's heartbeat by doppler
    blood pressure
    weight check
    family history
    Ultrasound to get an estimated due date possibly
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Expect it to be a lengthy visit. Mine was about an hour, they take down your health history and and the history of the fathers and other family members if possible (grandparents and what not). Then they take a bunch of blood and you'll have to pee in a cup.
    They will do the normal blood pressure and weight. And depending on the Dr and insurance you might get your first ultrasound done.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

• possibly a pelvic exam/pap smear
    urine sample
    weight
    family history
    blood pressure

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:07 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They'll take a family history, weigh you and take a urine sample.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If you haven't had a pap smear in a year then they will do one. They will write a prescription for Prenatal vitamins unless you are buying them over the counter. A urine test, an ultrasound, bloodwork to check for STD's & answer any questions you may have. Ask medical history. They'll give you a due date & an appt. for a month later. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• All the visits are different especially depending on your health issues. A urine sample, maybe a blood test to test you for stds & stuff, a pap for sure to check you for stds. Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 4:10 PM on May. 9, 2011

• What they usually do is they will first take you into an office like room and ask you questions about your lifestyle. Whether you smoke, drink, etc... They will talk to you about pregnancy, ask you if you have any questions, give you a packet/bag full of papers and samples, and make you pee in a cup. Usually from there you will meet with your doctor. Since you are 10 weeks they will probably let you listen to the heart beet. After that you will have blood work and some places will do an ultra sound, which is my favorite part! Usually you will have your first ultra sound around 3 months.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 4:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They usually go over all the things you should/ shouldnt do.... and all of the pervious things listed. Its a pretty long visit. around and hour or so.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 4:43 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I went to my first appt at about the same time. They took family and personal/Husband's health history. They had me give a urine sample. They did a pelvic exam and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat on the Doppler. didn't get my first ultrasound till 13 weeks.
    tankster

Answer by tankster at 5:02 PM on May. 9, 2011