If you're religious and don't believe in homosexuality what do you believe people with gay feelings should do?

I'd like some views from people that are against it. My religion most certainly is and I have always been gay, I try to ignore it, I got married at 17. Probably partly because of that and now I'm facing a life probably alone now my husband is gone. It's just not an inviting prospect. I really don't like men but I figure I've got to do it. What's your view on it? What can I do really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• canofworms

You're not going to get a good answer from this question. 

Anonymous

• Honestly? I think you should find a belief system that can support who you actually are rather than living a life of lies and misery to placate others.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think that god loves everyone, no matter their sexuality.

@Anonymous
    If you want to be close minded than I guess you shouldn't be answering this question.

My best friend is gay and he believes in God and he is religious. He knows that it isn't the end of the world, everyone's different.

You are not alone, there is someone out there for you if that's what you want. Gay or straight you shouldn't be defined by another person.

I'm here if you need someone to talk to. good luck.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You can try being true to yourself. Living a lie won't get you anywhere. Personally I'd find another religion that accepts me, if religion was important.

If you're gay, forcing yourself to like men is about attractive a prospect as a straight man forcing himself to like men. If a straight person doesn't have to force it, why should you be doing it to yourself?
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 4:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I find changing my religious views about as hard as changing my sexuality really, that's my issue. So I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place I guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• there is a place for you, you just have to find it. There are gay folks in every religion out there, you just have to find a group that supports it & does not frown upon it. Keep searching....whatever your religion is.....i can bet you that there is a group that will except you for who you really are.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:29 PM on May. 9, 2011

• So you want to follow your Faith, but you don't want to fake attraction to a man? Am I understanding you correctly?

I personally know a homosexual man in your situation who used to date guys, and has since chosen to live a celibate life because his faith is that important to him. He actually seems like a very happy guy, he's involved in his community, and hobbies, he just doesn't date.

If religion is your priority, like my friend, then do what he does, and still have an awesome, happy life.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 4:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I am a christian ,and I have been taught you can't choose how you FEEL ,you can only choose what you DO. It is not a sin to be attracted to the same sex. You can't help that. It is a sin to have sex with the same sex. There are also rules about having sex,if you are unmarried as well. If you are following the bible, there are rules about when sex is right and when sex is wrong. I don't think it would be any harder for a gay person to live the life the Bible teaches,as for a single person. If you already have a religion you believe to be true, I think you should stick to it. You can't just pick some other random thing to believe, like others have mentioned. How is that being true to yourself?
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 4:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If you have these feelings that contradict your "belief" or at least what you think you believe- then you really don't believe those things! If I call myself a Catholic but don't really think that I need to go to church, confession or feel that I need to speak to God through a priest to have a relationship with him- then I am not a Catholic!

Do some looking, some reading and some time to yourself to find out what YOU need to be you.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Abstain from it, the same as alcoholics should from alcohol.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:00 PM on May. 9, 2011