How do you get a radiator cap off when it is stuck and nobody can seem to remove it

my daughter's car and her are 300 miles away at school and well her radiator cap is stuck and she can't get it unscrewed and all her guy friends have tried to unscrew it but it won't come loose.

my husband is being a jerk and saying things that aren't helping. He thinks everyone is being wimpy and acting stupid because all you have to do is push down and twist...well obviously it is jammed but his words and attitude are not helping.

So is there any thought as to what the problem could be or any ideas on what I can tell her that will help the cap come off?

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 4:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Take it to a garage I'm sure they have some sort of tool to help get it off
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 4:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I just read this on a car forum...

"turn cap counter-clock wise till it stops then push down hard and turn some more, it will then come off. If you pry it you might as well have a new radiator by your side cuz you will crack the filler neck. "

I don't know if will work, but it is worth a try.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• funny you think they would, she has taken it to a garage and the mechanics just push and twist and give up. Out of frustration for the situation I used a little humor and told her to wear a great push up next time, she about died because I mentioned that, lol! ( sorry but I handle stress with crazy ideas and humor )
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 4:37 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I didn't even think that prying it open would crack the radiator! okay so we won't force it open, it must be jammed, maybe when the last time she checked her fluids she put the cap back on in a way that jammed it.
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 4:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• WD40?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Can someone get a pipe wrench on it and turn it that way? You might be able to get a better angle on it if that is the case.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It could be vacuum locked...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• A dealership maybe?
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 8:01 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would take it to auto zone or advanced auto. Any time I have a car issue dh and I figure out we take it there.
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 10:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• These are all good ideas and I will pass them along to her. Never thought of WD40 or the dealership itself but I will pass along all these ideas and I'm open to more too
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 10:39 PM on May. 9, 2011