Why don't kids sleep?

Dang it I'm tried.

I almost fell asleep on the toilet a minute ago and now I'm using this as a way to keep alert. I'm still "on call" cause everyone except my 3 yr old is awake so no sleep for mommy again.

My 3 yr old sleep pattern is mixed up and she's been awake at night. I hate when that happens, you can't really do anything about it. They sleep when they want to. I can't wake her, when she conks out she really conks out so I'm stuck. As she's been doing she'll wake when everyone else goes to bed.

I hope this fixes itself soon. It's been a week. ugg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Thats strange for that age. I would figure out how and when it started. Go from there. The only thing you can really do is take her somewhere during the day and keep her occupied. Like to the park or swings and such. Id talk to her dr and see what advice they have. This is a bad pattern and maybe they can send you to a pediatric sleep specialist to get you back on track. Good Luck Mama! I would die if I dealt with this!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:10 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Is there something new in her room that might be bothering her? I know my youngest is not sleeping good now that the birds are chirping so early in the morning.
    Anonymous

• My eldest use to do this too so I know all I can hope for is that I last until she either out grows it or she gets older. My eldest was like this and still is, we never figured out why and she still sleeps "weird" and is awake most of the night. The good thing is that now she's 15 so I can go to bed even if she decides to stay up.

Althought, with my 3 yr old, this started gradually 2 weeks ago with her staying up later and later. We just couldn't get her down. No changes or nothing new going on either. Before this she usually slept at night. She was a good sleeper, even as a baby. Her older sister never was, even as a tiny infant she hardly slept and gave up naps a 1 yr old. Always a night owl.

I hope she goes back to being a lark soon, mommy likes to sleep at night. :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:29 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Plan a busy go-go-go day to wear her out. That should fix this problem.

My daughter is 4. If she takes a nap during the day she's IMPOSSIBLE to get to bed. If she's had a few low-key days and is bouncing off the walls I've got to find something to do with her that will completely exhaust her so she crashes for the night. If I just CANNOT keep her awake I'll let her take an hour nap.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:37 PM on May. 9, 2011