ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did that just happen?

Some crazy old bitty came out of her apartment today when I was coming home from walking my DD to school and tells me I can't walk on the side walk in front of her apartment because she pays rent and expects to get some privacy... Are you serous you crazy old hag! Ugh I can't stand ignorant people!!! Mind you we are always quiet we are always quick and never linger... I told her that last time I checked I could walk on the sidewalk with out getting her permission. Then she went on to tell me its privet property and that she pays rent so she does have the right... I told her I pay rent too... HELLO! I called her a crazy old bat and walked home. I plan on STILL using said sidewalk!

How would you have handled the situation?

sugarfox72

Asked by sugarfox72 at 5:11 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i would have laughed and walked away,, next time u tke ur daughter to school sing loud lol

chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 6:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Honestly, I would have walked on by without saying a word. Who knows? Maybe she is like my ex-grandmother-in-law. She was suffering from alzheimers & would frequently forget that we had moved her from her house in KS to an apartment by her son in OK. A little compassion for your elders can go a LOOOONG way.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Tell her she doesn't pay rent on the sidewalk. Its there for public use and if she wants privacy...get window treatments.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 5:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would have laughed at her and kept walking. Sidewalks are city property not private property

Answer by admckenzie at 5:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have to agree with admckenzie too. Laugh and keep walking! lol It would get to her and show her that you arent gonna take her nonsense BS
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think I would have said something about the sidewalk being public property. But she's probably miserable. Lots of time old people are sick, lonely, or just have nothing better to do, you know socially isolated! Maybe when you don't have the kids you can offer an olive branch. Sometimes bad situations with my neighbors were able to be resolved when I apologized after some cooling-off. Sometimes not LOL! You know if you think maybe she was just "acting out" so to speak or if she's really looney tunes. But I feel sorry for people sometimes. Really, your footsteps were too loud? Or is she just trying to get attention the only way she can? So sad. You handled it right in the moment, but maybe you get on her better side in the future. Or maybe she hates kids! Good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:17 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You called her a nasty name in front of your daughter? Don't get me wrong, I would have been mad and told her it was public property but the name calling, esp in front of your child was uncalled for.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 5:48 PM on May. 9, 2011

• WOW! She has some nerve. I would have told her I pay rent too...and that the property management company OWNS it and until you have something in writing from them that says you can't walk there, you will continue.
    She is crazy!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Probably the same way you did! I feel bad for her, she may be having some issues like Alzheimers. But that doesn't mean she can accost you like that. If it gets worse I would suggest to the landlord that he/she contact her or her family and tell them that her behavior is interfering with the other tenants.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I woulda told her to call the cops then. LOL That would have gave them a good laugh!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 5:40 PM on May. 9, 2011