My son fell and had to have staples put in his head... what is the typical procedure for this

they did not cut away any hair, the did NOT CLEAN it and the did not numb him before stapleing him ... my son in 1 year old and 4 people came in and held him face down while the doc stapled him ... this visti to the ER has me in an outrage i am writing a letter to the hospital administration but need some input on what the PROPER procedure for administering staples to a toddler is PLEASE HELP

IAmWyattsMommy

Asked by IAmWyattsMommy at 5:22 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow... I have two siblings who while growing up split some part of their head open. My brother was towards the back and they didn't shave it but they did clean it, numbed it, and then stitched it. None of them had staples and all areas were cleaned and numbed before they closed the wounds.
    I would be pissed (excuse my language) if they didn't at least numb it a bit, it doesn't take much to do that!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i would get a lawyer..
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• First of all, your son isn't a toddler yet. At 1 yr of age, he is still considered an infant in the eyes of the hospital. They really don't like to administer numbers & anesthetics to infants. I'm not saying you were treated well at the hospital. And, I would also probably write a letter asking for an explanation. One of my twins lacerated his head when he was 18 months old. They didn't staple. They just used butterfly bandages. And, they did shave the area.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Um, they should have cleaned it (probably by rinsing with sterile water or saline) and numbed it first. I would be beyond pissed. Heads would roll.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 5:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I thought until 12 months is infant. 1-3 is a toddler.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 5:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• When they were about to do it did you ask WHY they didnt numb it? I would not have let them touch my son without knowing exactly how and why they were doing what they were doing. But thats just me.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 5:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They dont numb infants my butt. My son got circumcised and they numbed him.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• he is 23 months old but age aside I personallly believe they should have numbed it ... i have never heard my y son scream such a blood curddleing scream he didnt cry when he cracked his head open at the very least i think they should have cleaned it ... they did swab it with bedadine befroe stapleing it but they didnt clean it with anything else is that right
    IAmWyattsMommy

Comment by IAmWyattsMommy (original poster) at 5:37 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Boy are they gonna have a can of worms if it gets infected (I sincerely hope NOT). That just sounds SO WRONG on so many levels.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:21 PM on May. 9, 2011