Is this legal?

We have an SUV that we used as our family vehicle, and a dinky pickup truck. Our SUV died, and we won't have the money to fix it until tax returns come back. We can survive on one vehicle because we work opposite shifts, so one of us is always with our son, but we have to rely on nearby family members when the three of us need to go somewhere as a family. I am totally against putting our forward facing toddler's carseat in the pickup truck because it just doesn't seem safe, but we have a doctor's appointment next week, and it looks like I won't be able to borrow anyone's safer vehicle (with a backseat). I know that children are supposed to be in the backseat, but is it illegal if they are in the front of a pickup truck?

risonski

Asked by risonski at 10:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is in a five point harness seat and it is installed in the truck correctly then he will be alright. You can even turn it rear facing if that makes you more comfortable. Its not illegal unless there is a backseat which from what you said there is no backseat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• yes it's legal but i think not safe
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It's legal, but is there an airbag? if there is, I wouldn't do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• There's no aribag, but I feel really uncomfortable with him so close to the windshield. I'm a safe driver, but I can't exactly vouch for everyone on the road...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 11:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes, it is legal (at least here in PA), but I understand your concern. My SIL went throught the same thing when her car broke down and she had to drive her husband's truck to take the baby to an appointment. She actually called the state police and asked them just to make sure.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 11:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It is legal, but not wise. Is there any way to change the appointment? If not, you have to do what you have to do.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thanks ladies, I am still going to try to get a safer vehicle to take him to his appointment... I can't reschedule though, since it is a followup appointment from some concerns at his one year check up...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 11:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• YES THIS IS LEGAL. YOU DONT HAVE A BACKSEAT SO YOU CANT USE IT. BUT IF YOU DO PUT HIM IN THE FRONT SEAT TURN THE AIR BAG OFF AS I HAVE HAD TO DO THIS BEFORE IN THE SAME SITUATION AS YOU ARE.
    ILUVMYKIDSTOO

Answer by ILUVMYKIDSTOO at 12:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Not if you turn off the airbags (in the state of CO) But other states I am not sure if the law is different. I hope you come into unexpected money sooner than planned so you can get your SUV fixed. Those suckers are expensive!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• As long as there is no air bag, they can be in the front. people at my day care do it.
    Anonymous