How do I explain to 7 year old daughter about 2 half brothers?

My husband was married before with 2 boys from his first marriage. We have a daughter together. She is 7. My step children both call me Mom and live with both us and their Mom. My daughter is asking why they have two Moms? How do I explain this situation to her? I told her that her brothers came from their Mommy's stomach and that she came from my stomach. She then asked me if they were really her brothers. Anyone know the best way to explain this situation???

3kidsMom767

Asked by 3kidsMom767 at 5:37 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just explain it to her she will understand, I had the same thing happen and she understood
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Just tell her straight out that Daddy was married to another woman before you and he got married. And say yes, they ARE really her brothers.
    You don't need to go into details, keep it simple. That's pretty much all you need to say, unless you want to add that you are lucky enough to get to be mommy to all of them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My 4 kids also have 2 half siblings from my husbands previous marriage. (My oldest 3 are 5, 5, and 3...baby is way to young to even understand anything!) They know that they have a brother and sister who share a daddy with them, but have a different mommy because daddy was married before and it didn't work out so they got divorced (well they say broke up) We don't call them their half brother and half sister though, just brother and sister.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:51 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Just tell her that yes they are really her brothers because you all have the same dad...... that in order for a mommy to get a baby in the tummy there needs to be a daddy. I doubt you have to go into more details then that. Mine are 9 (just turn 9) and almost 10 and understand all of this when it comes to my siblings. I have 1 sister via adoption (my adoption), 1 full brother, 2 full sisters, 2 half brothers, 1 half sister, and 2 step sisters. My kids have NEVER had any confusion when it comes to these things.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• straights the best answer for that one. my kids have the half brother thing going on and it was way easier to explain about the 2 moms then to make it harder
    kittylover333

Answer by kittylover333 at 5:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would explain that yes they really are her brothers because they share the same dad. She will get it kids understand more than we realize. Especially with blended families being more common these days i wouldn't be surprised if she knows at least a handful of kids from school with close to if not the same situation. We have custody of my dh's two sons, i have two daughters from a previous marriage, and together me and dh have twin sons we all live together and all of our kids just get it no need to over explain. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:50 AM on May. 10, 2011