If you have a problem with a neighbor, a serious one, should you talk to them first or go to the police?

I was outside with my 9 month of DD and the neighbors kid, was shooting a high power air pistol randomly and shooting it at our property. I do not know the neighbors and the kid saw me and went and hid and still continued to shoot. I decided to call the police, not as a 911, but to have someone come by and talk to them. I am now wondering if I should have gone over and talked to them, but I don't know them. Plus there is a fence between us and I have no access but to drive over there. Did I do the right thing?

Aeternam

Asked by Aeternam at 6:02 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Health

• i agree with most of the people, the fact that he saw you and then hid and continued was a big red flag and should have been dealt with exactly the way you did. when their is a dangerous weapon of any sort involved and children around the best thing is to alert the police.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:10 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Your child was in danger. You made the right choice.
    Anonymous

• There are some circumstances when going over and talk to them is right and there are some instances when police involvement is necessary. A kid with a GUN requires police involvement.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Calling the police was the right thing to do.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:04 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Don't second guess yourself, it's not worth it. You made a perfectly fine call.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You did the right thing, mama. If you don't know them well, how do you know that the whole family isn't violent?

I am a fan of law enforcement, and I would have definately called, as well.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:08 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think you did the right think. They should have known better that let there kids do that. Talking to them is probably not gonna do much. Either way I hope the problem is solved now. They peopably have more respect for the police that a neighbor.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think so. I wouldn't want to go over and get shot by that thing on accident. plus having someone talk to him that isn't a nagging parent or neighbor might have helped him learn to be more careful with it
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You did exactly what I would have done.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:07 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd have done the same thing
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 6:22 PM on May. 9, 2011