stemming from another question....what can you do for a 6mth.old with a cough when dr's. say you can't give them anything? what are you suppose to do?

i've tried elevating her,using the snot sucker,benadryl(per dr's. instructions),cool mist humidfier, etc.

pinkclover

Asked by pinkclover at 11:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably drainage of her sinuses into her throat that's making her cough. You need to focus on the sinus issue. The humidifier, etc. is all good. You can also try to prop her up a bit while she sleeps. My son is going through the same exact thing right now. Let me tell you, naps and sleeping at night is just about impossible for us. He's cranky, crabby and doesn't feel well. I hope it is short lived for both of us!
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 11:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Is it JUST a cough? If so, I wouldn't do anything. just wait.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• you cant really do nothing, they use to prescribe stuff for them but now they dont i hate it. :( umm.. i was going to say the humidfier. also try putting vicks on the babys chest and back see if that works. other than just watch the babies breathing! :D i hope your baby feels better!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• she has a runny nose as well. thanks mommabear =) !
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 11:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I heard from a mother on here that you can put vicks baby rub on your baby's feet and put socks on and it is supposed to help. I hope your lo feels better soon!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• thanks have2travel, that's my thoughts exactly! hope your son feels better soon!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 11:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i asked my doc about the vapo-rub thing and they said that just opens up their pores and doesn't actually help the cough any!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 11:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• wait it out
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son has had a cough for going on 3 weeks. He is over coughing stuff up though. The doc said the same thing "nothing we can do." I use a humidifier, Vicks plug-in. When he was all phlemmy I gave him some pedialyte as well since milk kinda clings to that stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Give the vaop-run trick a try. No, there is no proof it works which is why your doctor told you it was a waste of time. But it won't hurt and plenty of parents swear by it.

And no, I haven't tried it myself - yet. My daughter hasn't had a cough that kept her from sleeping yet. I'll try it when that happens though and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it helps us like so many other parents claim.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008