Buy American?

Buy a Toyota or Honda. They are now more American than the big three.

Many of us have seen a coworker, neighbor, or friend purchase and prominently display a "Buy American" bumper sticker on their domestic automobile. However, in this changing global economy which has seen Toyota and Honda building new factories, design centers, and more in the U.S. and domestic automakers moving their production overseas, are "American" automobiles really that American anymore?

http://www.dailytech.com/Study+Toyota+is+More+American+Than+GM+Ford+Chrysler/article15618.htm

A Cars.com study compares the Ford F-150, a classic "American" vehicle, and the Toyota Camry in its annual American-Made Index and comes to a shocking conclusion -- the Japanese automobile has more American parts in it than the truck. The study, in fact, finds Toyota Motor Corp. to be the most "American" company based on multiple factors.

The thorough study takes into account several critical factors including where the vehicles are assembled, their popularity based on sales volume, and the percentage of the parts made in the U.S. based on the cost or value of those parts. After five years as the most "American" vehicle, the Ford F-150 truck was dethroned in a shocking upset by the Toyota Camry.

Toyota didn't stop there -- it picked up the sixth spot with its Sienna minivan, the seventh spot with its Tundra full-size pickup, and the tenth spot with its new Venza crossover.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:11 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Our next purchase will be a Honda. We will be supporting on hometown right here in the USA.
    Anonymous

• I bought a Honda CR-V last September. Love it!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Well...my husband is obsessed with Subaru's....that's the only car he'll buy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:18 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Am holding out for the American made BMW x5... Once we get out of the last frontier state.....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I was seriously just outside looking at my Honda and thinking how un-American I am lol.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• possibly the American made BMW x6
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• The study, in fact, finds Toyota Motor Corp. to be the most "American" company based on multiple factors.

I believe this... Toyota's Kentucky Operations has one of the BEST lean management/logistic operations worldwide.... Good for Toyota.. They aren't bound by union contracts...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Study: Toyota is More "American" Than GM, Ford, Chrysler
    Jason Mick (Blog) - July 7, 2009 11:31 AM

LOL
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Whats so funny Rnurse?
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 6:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My 1999 Honda Accord was assembled in SC. My current car--a CRV, also. ANyway---I trust Hondas and I'm glad that they are being assembled here, and employ Americans. Has to be a good thing. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:41 PM on May. 9, 2011