What should I do with my 7 year old boy?

My son is in the 1st grade and if they misbehave in class the have to pull a card. Green is not getting a card pulled and yellow is the warning card, red is the next step and a trip to the principle is last. He consistently comes home with a yellow (warning) for not paying attention or interupting the teacher. I don't know what to do anymore. We've spanked, sent him to his room for the night and taken things away.
Any ideas or advice on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on May. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would recommend making him write a apology letter to the teacher and if that doesn't work take everything away and make him earn it back little by little.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• First of all stop spanking the child. It happens in all first grades. Kids have energy and are inquisitive so they interrupt. They get bored with some things and don't pay attention. He's 7 not an adult and as a teacher I don't understand why they hold such high standards to little children like that. It's silly if you ask me. Just keep talking with him and tell him the school's rules as silly as they are rules must be enforced. BTW going to see the principal isn't a bad thing but even with that, he's only at yellow. That's NORMAL. Praise him for what he does and encourage him to comply to the whims of some socially ignorant people who made dumb rules for little kids.
    Anonymous

• My son has this issue too. Academically he is progressing, no issues. Just too social. So his teacher splits his day in half.
    From morning till lunch he gets his color before lunch
    Than after lunch he gets a chance from than until end of school day.

Also if he can get green consistently for say a week, he gets game time with the principal or become helper with someone else in the school like in the library or go early to art class to set up, stay later to clean up.

It works, than he has his issues, like now him and quite a few of the students are going out of control, spring fever the teacher calls it, but he has to work on bettering his behavior so he can go on the field trip this month as well as earn hours for field day.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• We had this issue. He lost ALL privileges and he had to earn them back with good behavior. Turned him right around.

Anonymous

• apology letter for a 7 yr old for being a normal child? NO! take things away from him for being normal? That's going to confuse the heck out of him. Just talk with him. It's a YELLOW card people not red! no wonder our children are such a mess if we are so quick to punish them for small infractions. let's work on teaching them and less on putting them in children prison over small things.
    Anonymous

• lost ALL his privileges at 7? How many does a 7 yr old have? turned him around? I doubt it. it taught him that you are a cold hearted tyrant who has few parenting skills. wait until he has to care for you when you are old. can you say karma?
    Anonymous

• WTF Anon?! So you dont have to comform to the rules set by authority? Not matter ho they may inconvenience you?! Really? So i sont have to abide by the law because I dont like it?
    Does he have any other problems? It may be that he's bored in that particular class possibly have him tested out to a higher grade. If not you can see if he has ADD or ADHD, dont agree with medication, but if its to help him focus on what he's supposed to be doing, cant hurt on school days. & sorry to say some teachers are a-holes. It may be that she's impatient,(teaching isnt for everyone) or that he may be following the whims of classmates & is the one getting caught. Tell him its important for him to behave, spank and/or punish if neccessary, have a parent teacher conference. Check all the avenues you can to help him if he needs it.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 6:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Stop spanking. He is only 7 years old. We have 9 year olds in our 3rd grade class that just don't seem to be able to sit still yet! Just take away privileges from him and keep talking about class rules, just like we have rules at home too. Reward him for good behavior. For example tell him that if he gets no yellow cards all week, he'll get a treat or a little surprise. Sometimes I think these teachers are too hard on our kids. My daughter is in third grade. Her teacher keeps teling me that she's constantly talking in the class. She has put it on her report card both trimesters. When I ask the other mom volunteers if they notice her talking, they all say "no more than everyone else in the class."
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 6:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Inflicting pain on a 7 year old is abuse. He's 7 the card is yellow. Just encourage him to do his best everyday. The infraction list is never-ending...earlier today a mom wrote that her son's teachers gave infractions for coughing and yawning,,,really how ridiculous is that. As adults we would probably 'break' the infraction rules at least once during each school day.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• *checks around her house* Okay, it's NOT my son you're talking about. My kid is the same way. He's super smart and will be going into the Highly Capable/Challenge/Gifted program next year.

If he's got the Uncontrollable Wiggles at school try enrolling him into some kind of athletics. Find some positive outlets for him to get out all his extra energy. If it's academics try finding him some more challenging work to do at home.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:59 PM on May. 9, 2011